Steamers and fermenting on grains

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Steamers and fermenting on grains

Post by Wild Bill »

I have done several all grain runs now with success but so far I have been using my 30 gallon mash tun and fermenting off the grains. It has been working ok, although as my grain bills increase and with the use of certain grains, I have almost stuck some sparges even using rice hulls. Also, I have been thinking about doing some sour mashes which leads me to some questions. I assume you guys that have built steam injector rigs are fermenting on the grain in the same vessel you steam in? Also with a 20 plus gallon batch on the grains I am thinking my 15.5 gallon fermenters and my 30 gallon fermenter would be too small. Are you mostly going to 55 gallon barrels for these larger on the grain ferments? Lastly, if using a plastic 55 gallon barrel is there any concern with temps while steaming? I thought I remebered they are rated for 160 degrees F continuous and 180 intermittent. Thanks all as I am learning much from these forums and by my own screw ups.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Re: Steamers and fermenting on grains

Post by ShineRunner »

I ferment in an HDPE 55 gallon barrel. HDPE is important because it has higher temp ratings and will withstand steaming temps. Although it is supposedly rated for that, I try to keep things as low as possible. http://fivegallonideas.com/plastic-types-old/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I use a keg/keg setup for stripping. It’s very similar to MCH’s in that it’s modular and can do everything I want it to do. I siphon clear wort off the top of the barrel and let it clear overnight, but that’s probably not necessary. I then fill the still keg with cleared beer and scoop the sloppy goop into the thumper/stripper. I only fill it about half full because it will fill up within the thumper.. I run it all until it gets to about 30% average low wines. For a 55 gallon drum, that usually takes 2.5-3 runs to get everything stripped out.

SR