Using a Keg as a Big Old Pot

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewmaker1
Swill Maker

Re: Using a Keg as a Big Old Pot

Post by brewmaker1 »

Have him read this thread: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =17&t=8376 minime uses a 3" design but a 2" would also work, just a lot slower. I have a CM column that does okay, but dialing it in each run is a pain in the ass. My next column will be a VM.
new guy
Novice

Post by new guy »

anybody know where to get a couple of those kegs around chicago
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

[quote="Dnderhead"]Yes you can weld copper to stainless Iv done it with tig a bunch of times and with mig on a bet and it worked good
(someone said it could not be done)[/quote

what were you using as a filler for the tig weld?
I was sober this morning, 'til I woke up this afternoon
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

stanless.3o8/316.
piratesteve
Novice

Post by piratesteve »

thanks dnderhead
I was sober this morning, 'til I woke up this afternoon
hubotu
Novice

Post by hubotu »

infamous because of it's Internal Reflux Still design
I had started down the road when I saw your comment - very interested in what's behind it.

Thx
rainman08
Novice

Post by rainman08 »

Sounds like I did mine wrong. I took a 15 Gal. Sanke, removed the split-ring, removed the dip tube, ground off the little flanges,took-apart the "ball" assembly and removed the "ball"(really just a half-moon, spring loaded part). Re-assembled the springs and tube assembly(so it looks the same, but without the "ball".) at the bottom of the tube(now the "top") i welded a 1.25" threaded coupler. Into this goes a 1.25" to 1/2" reducer, then a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer, a 1/4" X 1"nipple, then a 1/4" X 4 way. Plug one horizontal opening, place a 1/4" ball valve in the other side. on the top a couple of reducers down to 1/8", then a 1/8" compression fitting. put ferral onto a small thermometer and carefully tighten in place. On the ball valve i put a 1/4" reducer to 3/8", a 3/8" compression fitting. worm is made from 3/8" copper, into bucket of water, and out bottom of bucket(seal with silicone). Using copper scrubbers.(unravel,roll up lenghth-wise,about 12" long). Stuff into tube, about 1.5" from bottom and 4" from top. Place tube(up-side down now) into keg. I welded some window latches onto keg to hold tube in place. Seal with silicone. It sounds like it won`t work, as the whole assembly is only about 24" long. BUT,,, I`ve done 20-30 some runs and had good success so far.(a little leaking around seal). on a stripping run i only put about 4-6" of packing in. If it works, don`t F**k with it. :ebiggrin:
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

You shouldn't use silicone as a sealant. It isn't safe because of the high temps and alcohol vapor.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

MisterSteve124 wrote:You shouldn't use silicone as a sealant. It isn't safe because of the high temps and alcohol vapor.
As long as it is not coming into contact with the spirits it is fine to use for sealing the worm hole in the bucket...
drbeef
Novice

Post by drbeef »

Hey rainman08, I was thinking about doing the same thing as you (inverting the dip tube assembly on a sanke to act as the column). How do you attach the thing to the keg? It seems to me that it wouldn't seal well upside down... Did you do anything special to 'lock' the upside-down dip tube to the keg?
Xnerd
Swill Maker

Post by Xnerd »

I have noticed that these keg stills work much better with a full charge as no internal reflux occurs.

I would have thought that the internal reflux "issue" mentioned here would be more to do with the addition of the parabolic dome (mixing bowl) more then the keg itself.
Copper is (if I am not mistaken) is a much better thermal conductor than is stainless. The heat transfer by the propane.... AH THERE IT IS! If copper, the heat would transfer to the walls of the still making the whole pot much hotter and reduce the condensing vapors.

I guess that is why a full charge would work much better.
Stillatryin
Novice

Post by Stillatryin »

drbeef wrote:Hey rainman08, I was thinking about doing the same thing as you (inverting the dip tube assembly on a sanke to act as the column). How do you attach the thing to the keg? It seems to me that it wouldn't seal well upside down... Did you do anything special to 'lock' the upside-down dip tube to the keg?
Ok... I'm a rookie. I attempted that proceedure. It barely works. It's slow, tedious and knowing what I know... I'd pass it off as just another youtube BS proceedure. Get a flanged column or potstill apparatus and throw that dip tube away. Build something with a tri-clamp on the flange of the keg and don't look back. The crap that I distilled from that dip tube is good for warding off evil ... nothing more.
Buddydubbs
Novice

Post by Buddydubbs »

Ok I understand the tri clamp idea for using a keg as your pot lets get some part numbers in here for the clamp the seal washer or gasket you have used and what size fitting did u got to 2 inch flange to ???? And how did you connect your copper line to said flange that has either male or female fitting please help I am using a keg for pot still and going to a thumper then worm I need to know what tri clamp should be ordered what flange for the tri clamp should the flange be male or female and what connection to buy so I can attach it to my copper line I can solder so please help me out and give me your info I'm sure this has been done thousands of times and by alot of members on here but I have read and read till my eyes are crossed and nobody says buy this tri clamp this flange and this fitting and they will work together
Xnerd
Swill Maker

Post by Xnerd »

flange and col.jpg
This was easy, took me about an hour to do including the keg hole.

old stainless pot lid
1-1/2 threaded 304 stainless flange $17
1-1/2 copper to male adapter $14
stainless bolts and washers (couple of bucks)

The gasket is 3 1/6th natural cork.

I actually used an angle grinder for the whole in the keg.
What you do is cut one nasty big whole smaller then you want the finished one. Then cut slices like a pizza going to the final line for the whole (scratched in with an awl)
you then take and lightly score the rectangles and brake them off by bending them up and down. a quick hit with sandpaper and your done.

Worked very good. very fast.
Xnerd
Swill Maker

Post by Xnerd »

I should add that I brazed 6 stainless bolts up through the keg around the opening
I use big ass washers to clamp down the lid.
It hardly leaks at all but I use a dough gasket for distilling.

Do is simply flour and water to a sticky dough.
some add wheat bran or oaks to it.

My experience you do not have to it will seal either way.
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

I saw this idea on another thread, Please comment .

TURN THE KEG OVER and cut hole for 4 or 6" ferrule there. Use the other as a 2" cleaning port.

I don't have a keg now so I don;t have one to invert and play around with to evaluate this. Sure seems to make sense as you end up with two opening for the cost of one cutting/welding.

Code: Select all

A CraigsList respondee over in Annapolis has fifteen (15) SS Kegs!  And he has a glycol chiller intended for cooling beer lines.  No need for the Chiller at this stage but it's sweet. 
-Just need something else to build. -
homemade12
Novice

Post by homemade12 »

how do you seal bowl to keg? may have missed it.. i have tried this on half keg and failed
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

I Use sanke kegs for fermenting and now will use one as a boiler for my pot still project. The opening works fine as is, a different approach to cleaning is all that is needed. I got a tall plastic bucket that hypochlorite tablets came in and cut holes in the lid for water drainage and a bigger hole in the center of lid for piping. A fractional hp submersible pump with a 1 1/2” pvc riser capped and 3/16” holes drilled in cap for spray head. Fill with water to just over pump, add some pro brewers wash, invert keg over pipe and plug pump in. Water will recirc and over the course of an hr or so will get hotter than hades. This gets the inards spotless and I have never had an infection on any of my ferments. It also works great for cornelius kegs with a mod to flush in and out post fitting at the same time. I also use it for circing beer line cleaner through my beer keezer dispensing lines. Probably have less then $70 into this contraption but it is a priceless piece for my needs. Keep those Sankes uncut!
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!