Barrel Head Scraps

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Longhairedcountryboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Barrel Head Scraps

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

I bought a box of scrap pieces of barrel heads for the purpose of aging spirits. Some of the pieces have a band of some sort of coating on them. It is only a strip of coating on the outside right where the head meets the barrel, so just on the head seam. I was wondering if it is common practice to use some sort of sealer on this seam, is the sealer made from a safe material and if this wood should be discarded instead of cleaning it up and retoasting/charring for my application. Has anyone seen this before?
Detail.jpg
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Barrel Head Scraps

Post by Expat »

If the price was right, looks like something I'd buy.

Shouldn't be a problem if you're cleaning up the surface before toasting/Charing.

I had top pieces in the last bag of BBQ smoking barrel cuts, made a fine drop.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Longhairedcountryboy »

They came from an etsy store. The guy makes things from old bourbon barrels. I bought some whole staves from him as well. I just looked for a link, but it appears the box of scraps are no longer offered at his store.

My first thought was to discard the pieces with the questionable stuff on them, as I do not know what it is. My concern is that it is a varnish or shellac of some sort and it has permeated into the pores of the wood, rendering it contaminated.Then I got to thinking that maybe it is a standard practice to use a sealer on that seam. I would think that a bourbon manufacturer wouldn't use a substance to seal a barrel that would taint their product. I just don't know for sure. Not knowing what it is has me leaning towards better safe than sorry.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Most likely beeswax.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Most likely beeswax.
+1

if it is bees wax it should melt with a little heat.
Keep an eye on it when you toast & char it.
especially when charring or you will have a rather long & wide candle wick burning.
Shouldn't be too big of a problem when you toast it.... just have some aluminum foil under it so it doesn't get on the bottom of "Management's" oven.