New Member of the Mop Wringer Club

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

New Member of the Mop Wringer Club

Post by GCB3 »

I just joined this club today and am very happy I did. I’ve been experimenting with small batches of HBB during the shut down and hand wringing the corn mash in a small BIAB bag. While not a dealbreaker, it was a PITA and left my old hands aching. While I had two 15 gallon ferments finishing, I decided I could not hand squeeze all that grain and bought a Rubbermaid mop bucket and ringer. In less than two hours I squeezed 60 pounds and recovered 28 out of 30 gallons. This is several gallons more than I was getting from hand squeezing 15 gallon malted barley batches.

Cleanup was just a little more difficult But not much. I did take Fizzix’s advice and put a shower curtain liner down on the floor which turned out to be good advice. If you’re looking to make corn mash easier to strain, you may want to give this a try.
20553F80-227C-4CFF-AF07-681A442A66EF.jpeg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: New Member of the Mop Wringer Club

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Welcome!

Just an fyi. I saw the blue barrels in the back, and it took a couple times before I made this connection.
img20170314_211940.jpg
Now, that is a 55 barrel, and a very comfortable hieght. But anything beats picking up that yellow bucket over and over. I can do 80lbs in less than an hour this way. :thumbup:

Cheers.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 pm But anything beats picking up that yellow bucket over and over.
And bending down to recharge the wringer.. save the back some also for us old folks..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

GCB3 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:11 am I just joined this club today and am very happy I did. I’ve been experimenting with small batches of HBB during the shut down and hand wringing the corn mash in a small BIAB bag. While not a dealbreaker, it was a PITA and left my old hands aching. While I had two 15 gallon ferments finishing, I decided I could not hand squeeze all that grain and bought a Rubbermaid mop bucket and ringer. In less than two hours I squeezed 60 pounds and recovered 28 out of 30 gallons. This is several gallons more than I was getting from hand squeezing 15 gallon malted barley batches.

Cleanup was just a little more difficult But not much. I did take Fizzix’s advice and put a shower curtain liner down on the floor which turned out to be good advice. If you’re looking to make corn mash easier to strain, you may want to give this a try.

20553F80-227C-4CFF-AF07-681A442A66EF.jpeg
I now have a Bain Marie so I gave away my mop ringer to a distilling family member but had the same setup as Shineon
Have to give thanks to the President and founder of the Mop ringer club. Corene :clap: :clap: :clap:
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Hey windy , Nice to see you here. You know we are always learning something. Just saw a picture of the mop wringer on the fermenting barrel and smacked myself in the fore head. Why didn't I think of that . Such a good idea.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'm a member of that country club . I bail my solids into buckets and sit down in my comfortable office chair to do the wringing .
I'm looking more and more at a Bain Marie to fast track the whole deal .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 pm I can do 80lbs in less than an hour this way.
Hopefully I will get a little more efficient as a refine my processes. :lol:
Truckinbutch wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:34 pm I bail my solids into buckets and sit down in my comfortable office chair to do the wringing .
I racked off the cleared wort and then transferred one batch of solids to buckets like you do. If you look in the lower right hand corner of my photo, you’ll see my office chair also. The second batch I just scooped out of the fermenter and the height difference did require a lot of stand up sit down action. It’s going to take me a few runs to hone my skills. Anyway I do it, I like it a lot better than squeezing bags. Hats off to Corene1! :thumbup:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've found that even with the mop wringer I still squeeze the bag with my hands. I don't wring the bag - just take a handful of grain in the semi-loose bag and squeeze... Over and over. Get's through it all very quickly. The mop wringer in my shed just holds the bag and drains into a 5gal bucket as I squeeze... Never taks more than an hour with a full 32gallon brute to process... Using the actual wringer puts too much stress on the paint strainer bag and doesn't work well.

Just my experience.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:28 pm I can do 80lbs in less than an hour this way. :thumbup:
I improved my time some today and got 60 pounds in an hour and 15 minutes. I’m still a long way from your standard! The good news is my hands aren’t aching. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for giving me something to shoot at and this wonderful HBB recipe!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Haha, no problem. To be honest, maybe it's somewhere between 1 and 1.5 hours. But it seems to take me the same amount of time to do 15 gallons by hand as it does 55 gallons with a wringer :thumbup: .
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Sit the bag on a raised grid in a bucket, whatever.
Sit a slightly smaller container on top.
Fill that with water.
Take a couple of hours off.

??

Geoff
The Baker
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

The Baker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 pm Sit the bag on a raised grid in a bucket, whatever.
Fill that with water.

??

Geoff
How many bags do you suppose 80# of wet grain would be? Seems like a slow way to do a less than complete job.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by The Baker »

Expat wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm
The Baker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 pm Sit the bag on a raised grid in a bucket, whatever.
Fill that with water.

??

Geoff
How many bags do you suppose 80# of wet grain would be? Seems like a slow way to do a less than complete job.
Well if the bag was big, one bag.
(My nephew lifts his with a little electric chain block/ block and tackle mounted on a little gantry to move it sideways.
And I think he just hangs it up to drain.)

And if the drum on top was a 205 litre drum that would be say 215 KG. Should do something while you have a cup of tea and a little snooze.

How long is a piece of string?

Just musing...

Geoff
The Baker
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Side press, or down press wringer? I just ground 40 pounds of barley, after draining and squeezing 20 pounds of sweet feed in a bag over a bucket under 45 pounds of weight overnight, I am done with that mess.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.