New fermenter size question

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Triplequad
Novice

New fermenter size question

Post by Triplequad »

Hey guys I need some advice I'm moving away from carboys as Fermenters to an SB conical. My still is 50 liters, I use a 20 gallon brew pot. I was planning on getting the 15 gallon model. What do you guys think, If he had to do it over again would you increase the size of your fermenter?
Bushman
Admin

Re: New fermenter size question

Post by Bushman »

Lot of variables to consider. If you plan on doing multiple runs then a larger fermenter might be the answer as a 15 gallon fermenter is larger than your current boiler size. What is the size of the area you have for fermenting, how hard is it to transfer fermentation to boiler, do you have to transport from one place to another? In other words how much handling is involved? All questions you should consider. I also gave up on carboys for several reasons and have gone to six gallon fermentation buckets. I did this for ease of handling, larger opening allows for stirring, and I built a fermentation cart to control temperatures.

Below is a link to my cart and how I control temperatures.
Fermentation Cart
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... re Control
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

I try for 3 stripping runs per fermenter. I ferment in a 55 gallon barrel.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

My boiler is 13 gallons, I ferment in a 32 gallon Brute, and get two stripping runs of 10 gallons and about a gallon left over from straining to dilute the low wines for the spirit run. This works perfect (for me) doing sweet feed. But im thinking it may be a bit too small for 40# of grain and 20+ gallons of water to do all grain mashes. I'm contemplating a larger Brute for all grain, or a 2nd 32g but space for two becomes an issue.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I'd say it depends on what you want to make.
I have a 30l still, so I have 25l fermenters for generational mashes like ujssm and a 100l one to make enough for 3 strip runs.

So when I got a keg boiler I got 2 60l fermenters for the generational stuff and a 200l one for 3 strip runs.

I plan on using the keg for stripping experimental runs as well, so strip 1 ferment in the keg then finish on the smaller pot. That way I have less money invested in materials but still have a decent amount of low wines to fill the smaller boiler, and just the work to lay down 1 ferment.

What procedure do you run most? That dictates your fermenter needs imo. Well, that and space available ;-)
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I have multiple different size fermenters. 5-6 gal, 15 gal and 55 gal. If you have to pick a single size, I'd go with larger than you require because you don't have fill it all the way and it allows you to expand in the future.

I like to have different size boilers too. Once again you don't have to fill them completely, just enough to cover the element after the run is completed.
Triplequad
Novice

Post by Triplequad »

Bushman wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:31 am Lot of variables to consider. If you plan on doing multiple runs then a larger fermenter might be the answer as a 15 gallon fermenter is larger than your current boiler size. What is the size of the area you have for fermenting, how hard is it to transfer fermentation to boiler, do you have to transport from one place to another? In other words how much handling is involved? All questions you should consider. I also gave up on carboys for several reasons and have gone to six gallon fermentation buckets. I did this for ease of handling, larger opening allows for stirring, and I built a fermentation cart to control temperatures.

Below is a link to my cart and how I control temperatures.
Fermentation Cart
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=25475] Aquarium Te ... re Control
Good info, I bolted my conical to a low cart so I can wheel it to the still and to clean it.
20200922_173305.jpg
20200922_173305.jpg