Heating Element Control

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

byacey
Novice

Post by byacey »

One thing I didn't see mentioned and should be noted is the triac heat sink. Some triacs have an insulated heatsink tab, and others don't. If you use the non-insulated type and bolt it directly to a grounded heatsink, it suffers instant death upon either power up, or commutation.
defcon4
Swill Maker

Post by defcon4 »

Ok, I think I finally figured out the wiring diagram thanks to whoever posted pictures of the one they built. This has probably already been answered but it probably went over my head.

I have a standard U.S. residential electricity service so I'm guessing 120V.
My heating element is a 1000 watt hotplate (will this controller work with that?)

1: What wattage/specs should the dimmer switch be?

2: Will the dimmer allow me to select a wide range of power outputs to my element (ie: if the dimmer is at 50% and I move the dimmer a quarter turn up (25% more up), will the output be at 75%?) Or will it be a crude adjustment.
I guess a better way to ask this is, will the dimmer switch accurately control the power or will it be sporadic?

3: How big or what kind of heatsink do I need to attach the resistor and triac to?

I'm sorry I've never done this before. Thank you! :?
Towering in gallant fame,
Scotland my mountain hame,
High may your proud
standard gloriously wave,
Land of my high endeavour,
Land of the shining rivers,
Land of my heart for ever,
Scotland the brave!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've been using 6 500watt @ 240v strip heaters clamped to a 5 gallon ss soda keg, with a omron temperature controller and a relay rated to handle the current. I have another keg I use as a thumper/slobber box. I could just use switch's to turn on only the heaters I need, but I like to be able to control them better since I have about twice the power I really need. Yes I have slobbered my thumper full of foam may a time.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Out of curiosity where is everyone putting their thermocouples? I run a pot still with a thumper. I have one in the boiler (mash) for watching it heat up and shut off at around 208f in case I forget and another in the thumper (vapor) for controlling the run.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

shadylane wrote:Out of curiosity where is everyone putting their thermocouples? I run a pot still with a thumper. I have one in the boiler (mash) for watching it heat up and shut off at around 208f in case I forget and another in the thumper (vapor) for controlling the run.
I have a pot still too, but i don't measure temperature at all except with my hand to follow the steam when it's coming up to temperature along the still head.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I am developing a kit for the 220-240 voltage systems.
The kit will include:
A circuit board.
Short leads to connect to power.
Short leads with lugs to connect a heating element.
40 amp triac with wires attached.
6 amp triac with wires attached.
power resistor with leads attached.
capacitor
Diac
variable resistor with wires attached.
Heat Sink
I will be posting pictures soon as I get the rest of the parts in. I will be posting a how to assemble guide as soon as I get the parts.
The circuit board design is done and I have prototyped one.
I will keep you up to date as progress happens.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Excellent Pint, I'll put in an order! :D
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Seems to me like the perfect pot would be an insulated hot water heater,
with the top element for the quick boil and a controlled element below.

I do everthing outside in the summer with propane, but the winter and winds are different.
Pint O Shine, if you are going to market that controller, sign me up also. This is for neutral spirits which I like to make for infusions and vodka.

Next project is to develope either a double boiler for distillation on the grain, or useing a steam generater which seems more practical.

Ah well, one step at a time.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Yep Ill be after one too Pint
Such is life
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

I'd be very interested in one too.
defcon4
Swill Maker

Post by defcon4 »

Here's my build of the heating element control that pintoshine posted. 120V version.

It's a sloppy build but it's also my first electrical project besides wiring light switches and outlets. Let me know what ya'll think of it

High may your proud
Scotland the brave!
fergie

heater control

Post by fergie »

Has anybody tested the router speed control to see if it works?

there are a lot of people saying it won't but has anyone tried yet?
defcon4
Swill Maker

Re: heater control

Post by defcon4 »

fergie wrote:Has anybody tested the router speed control to see if it works?

there are a lot of people saying it won't but has anyone tried yet?
This thread explains why it won't work for a heating element. Save yourself some time and build pintoshine's controller from the schematic he posted. I just built mine and used it this weekend and it works like a charm (and only cost me about $25-$30)
High may your proud
Scotland the brave!

where to put them

Post by guest »

Hey, All

So I'm about to add 2 1500w elements to my 15 gal keg I was wondering where is the best place for them?
I normally use propane.
I plan on using both till it gets around 50 deg or so then just use one with the dimmer to control the temp.

Thanks
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If they are going to be internal, be sure to keep them below the liquid level or they will burn out. Also you want to keep them off the bottom of the still or the solids may scorch. I've run 1500 watt hot water heaters in the bottom of 5 gallon kegs but I burned out the heater after a while.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Pint, the kit just arrived.....it looks like you have put in a lot of work, thank-you. I won't get the chance to build it for a couple of days but I'll keep you posted. BTW, the one I tried to build a couple of months ago was never going to work, the triac and cables I used were of a much smaller gauge.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Pint, I notice that the kit doesn't have an earth....would I do any damage to anything if I ran the earth from my outlet, through the box and to my boiler? I'd feel a whole lot safer with a chassis ground.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Do not run it without a good earth to both the boiler, and the control box (if it is metal). Running without an earth is a bad idea generally, especially when you are mixing electricity and fluids (and flammable fluids at that).

Wait for Pinto's response, but I can't see any reason you can't use an earth.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

In the USA the only part of the controller that can be earth ground is the heatsink and the case on the potentiometer. Our 240 vac consists of two lines a neutral and an earth. Both sides of the hot are not earth potential ad cannot be grounded.
I would say that for all systems this would be the case. Grounding the boiler is always a good idea.
modul8
Novice

Post by modul8 »

CoopsOz, I just passed the earth from the mains side straight though to the earth on the boiler cord side. I am using plastic for a case so I didnt earth the kit.
I used a small electric heater for the case. Looks pretty funky actually. I will post a pic later when I have finished. (Just have to put a socket on the ouput.)

I am also thinking of adding protected (recessed) test points for my DMM to measure volts as I run.

The guys at work (electronics techs) said they were impressed with the simplicity of the design and the high load rating of the components, so thanks Pint :D

m
mikeac
Swill Maker

Re: jk

Post by mikeac »

Stillhead wrote:
2) Run a diode and a switch. The diode must be >10A. When the switch is on, the electricity will run through providing 1500W. When the switch is off, the electricity will run through the diode, providing 750W.

Bryan.
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this? It seams simple and cheap and I don't think I really need all the variability that comes with the dimmer.
CanadianBrew

Post by CanadianBrew »

would this not work??? Pinto can you let me know
CanadianBrew

Post by CanadianBrew »

[quote="CanadianBrew"]would this not work??? Pinto can you let me know[/http:/
CanadianBrew

Inline Thermostat for gas/oil fired heater Reedy heater

Post by CanadianBrew »

ebay search: inline thermostat reedy heater
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

I don't think you want a thermostat...well i know you don't want one...the answer is in here somewhere I have read why, but I can't re-find it right now...Sorry
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

CanadianBrew wrote:would this not work??? Pinto can you let me know
I don't think bouncing the topic with re-posts is going to get your question answered any quicker, and is against the guidelines of conduct in most forums...

Now, that being said, are you referring to the use of a diode for cutting power output in half...??? If so, yes, it will work... What this does is to only allow one phase of the AC cycle to pass through the circuit, essentially cutting the current flow in half... The diode needs to be properly sized to avoid failure, however, perhaps double the intended service amperage...
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

today i got
a cheap dimmer(checked inside there was a coil on a donut, 2 chiclets and 2 small resistance)120v 600w
a triac(best i could get local was 600v 25amp)
and a 75ohm 25w resistance(best i could get local was ceramic)

first you think this is the schematic i should follow?
i want to power a 1100w hot plate on 120v 60hz.
http://www.amsyrup.com/sloj/images/120vac40a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

second is the resistance is the same for a 25amp triac?

as for the resistance i thought about mounting it on the heatsink with some heat transfer grease got a nice amd cpu heatsink should be enough for both triac and resistance.

edit: there was also something that looked like a triac in the dimmer.
Last edited by Pikluk on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The last 120V 600W dimmer I took apart only had the potentiometer, one capacitor, and a quadrac (triac with built-in diac)... Because the quadrac was proprietary I am guessing that it was 200V 8A rated as they are only made in a limited number of sizes...

Regarding the schematic, I have considered building that one but have been procrastinating... I was also planning on using a CPU heatsink as I have dozens of them kicking around...

I tried building a controller from scratch last week but couldn't locate a quadrac, nor could I locate a diac, locally... The circuit I built didn't work properly due to the lack of the diac... I've been too busy to dig through my stash of parts to see if I have an adequate diac squirreled away...
Last edited by rad14701 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmonster
Novice

Post by Cmonster »

It looks like there has been some great experimenting over a number of years on this topic - and great work pintoshine.

I've only just found this thread today, but I've spent the last couple of weeks putting together a controller based on the technology I am familiar with. I've done a test run so far on just water, and I'm patiently waiting for a sugar wash to ferment out to run it on the good stuff.

First, to explain, I have a sankey 50 litre boiler with a 3600W element in it (240VAC in Australia). I've also been building a great variety of control gear for many years for automated homebrew beer machines, including PC based and microcontroller based. I have a professional history of being involved in process control and in particular automating broadcast transmitting facilities.

I've only just joined this forum, so in a sense I've seen the need to control an electric heater with new eyes - and this is what I've come up with:

Using a picaxe 08M micro (see revolution education - free software in basic language and easy-easy to use) with a temperature probe and potentiometer controller hooked up to a DC controlled triac, I can control my electric boiler as follows:

If the temperature is low (say below 70 deg C - but can be set in code), the power is at maximum (3600W).
When the temperature is between a set range (say between 70C and 90C - again set in code), the power level is set by a pot. In my case the pot is marked in 50W steps from 500W to 1000W with OFF at the low end and ON MAX at the top end.
When the temperature is higher than the upper limit, the electric heater automatically powers off.

The power level is set by a cycle of 20ms on and off on the element (this could be customised again in code) and by using a zero-crossing triac, the switching is done at zero volts.

Even if it sounds complex, I believe it is no harder to build than circuits suggested, and because it has a micro at its heart it is far more versatile. I suspect it might even be cheaper - but I haven't had a good look at pintoshine's kit.

I'd be happy to share code, circuit and build photos - if someone can tell me how to put photos up on the forum.

cheers all, and happy power sharing :wink:
Pikluk
Swill Maker

Post by Pikluk »

one more question do i have to remove th existing control on the hotplate or just putting it at max should be ok?
The more you read the more you learn.
The more you learn the more you realize you don't know shit :)