Let's see your controller box

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Let's see your controller box

Post by humbledore »

OK everyone I have been looking at boxes for my 10kW SCR controller which is currently sitting in a metal outlet box. Yes it hangs out the top and is not covered and has no room for a fan, I just lay one on top. I have been searching for this for a while, I will randomly run across people talking about their controller case. I am hoping to pick up some ideas. So let's hear about 'em!
HD
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Let's see your controller box

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I use the same controller. My box is a grey plastic junction box from Lowe's - found on the electrical isle. The size is 6X6X4 inches. It has a 6X6 inch square lid with screws on the four corners. My fan is attached to the CPU heatsink I used to replace the original heatsink. This box should give you plenty of room to install a fan. Just drill a pattern of holes in the position where you attach the fan to the box and some holes on one other side to vent the air. If possible, you want to position the fan so that it blows directly onto the heatsink. It should all fit in the box nicely.

It's nothing fancy - just the controller w/fan and the wiring to power it.

S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

My box is an alarm box, quite a bit bigger than usual but was $6 at the local reuse centre.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

S-C in my area they do not allow plastic junction boxes, metal and conduit are required per code so they don't even sell them. But something like this could work (not cheap for a plastic box):

http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-1591VSBK- ... roject+box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Most places now have reuse it centres, they are a great place to find stuff on the cheap. I had a choice of at least a dozen different boxes.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Belly I'm not sure there's something similar here... Maybe a goodwill? Can't imagine they have metal project boxes.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

mine is just a cah box from a rummage sale. i run usually 10 gallons through my keg at 220v and havnt needed a fan, no overheating problems
Attachments
100_0615.jpg
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Soft batch »

Computer power supply box, complete with 12v transformer and fan.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

humbledore wrote:S-C in my area they do not allow plastic junction boxes, metal and conduit are required per code so they don't even sell them. But something like this could work (not cheap for a plastic box):

http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-1591VSBK- ... roject+box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I looked at Lowe's online and found this - http://www.lowes.com/pd_10029-1716-L513 ... RRWidgetID" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . That's not exactly like mine (smaller). The one pictured is 4x4x4 and mine is 6x6x4 and cost about $12. Anyway, the one in your link may be a little too small to fit in a fan - don't know. You have some other good suggestions here. You should be able to come up with something suitable.

Good luck,
S-C
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

jholmz wrote:mine is just a cah box from a rummage sale. i run usually 10 gallons through my keg at 220v and havnt needed a fan, no overheating problems
Ha I like that one! Looks portable, like the president's nuclear control suitcase.
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Post by marshrunner757 »

I'm about to build mine and think I'm going to use a dry box you get from sporting goods outlets.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Soft batch wrote:Computer power supply box, complete with 12v transformer and fan.
I would like to see that. I have access to old computer stuff.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

S-Cackalacky wrote:
humbledore wrote:S-C in my area they do not allow plastic junction boxes, metal and conduit are required per code so they don't even sell them. But something like this could work (not cheap for a plastic box):

I looked at Lowe's online and found this - http://www.lowes.com/pd_10029-1716-L513 ... RRWidgetID" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . That's not exactly like mine (smaller). The one pictured is 4x4x4 and mine is 6x6x4 and cost about $12. Anyway, the one in your link may be a little too small to fit in a fan - don't know. You have some other good suggestions here. You should be able to come up with something suitable.

Good luck,
S-C
I like that one. I am looking for a smaller one, I don't need a 12x12 box. Although I will have to drill some holes for sure. Thanks for the link.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

marshrunner757 wrote:I'm about to build mine and think I'm going to use a dry box you get from sporting goods outlets.
What is a dry box?
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Post by marshrunner757 »

humbledore wrote:
marshrunner757 wrote:I'm about to build mine and think I'm going to use a dry box you get from sporting goods outlets.
What is a dry box?
A hard abs plastic box. Used for boating a lot. Also used for keeping shotgun shells in. Walmart carries them.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

jholmz wrote:mine is just a cah box from a rummage sale. i run usually 10 gallons through my keg at 220v and havnt needed a fan, no overheating problems
Cash box what a novel idea.
apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

special edition Grand Theft Auto 4 safety deposit box controller
special edition Grand Theft Auto 4 safety deposit box controller
Any video game nerds will recognise my future controller box. I hoping to attach a emptied bullet and casing to the pot. for a needle.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I recently bought one of these boxes (12"x10"x5") for a pretty elaborate controller with lots of bells & whistles. I know it's kinda pricy but it's real nice. They have a box with the same dimensions with fewer removable panels for $37. They have boxes of all sizes.

This project box is also really nice. I've made a couple PID controllers using this box.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

ammo cans work really well too. Cheap as dirt at most surplus stores. Even cheaper if you know any Military guys.
Cardinalbags
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cardinalbags »

I purchased this metal box at at Harris&Roome electrical supply store for about $30. It measures 10"x10"x6" deep. More than enough space for internal wiring, relays, heat sink and phase angle controller. It has all the proper knock-outs on the sides of the box for incoming/outgoing wiring just like your home electrical panel.
image.jpg
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Cardinalbags wrote:I purchased this metal box at at Harris&Roome electrical supply store for about $30. It measures 10"x10"x6" deep. More than enough space for internal wiring, relays, heat sink and phase angle controller. It has all the proper knock-outs on the sides of the box for incoming/outgoing wiring just like your home electrical panel.
image.jpg
One thing that is a little unnerving about electric is that it's dead silent until it gets going. I was thinking about some kind of "on" light. Is that what the light bulb is for?
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Surprising, McMaster actually has some reasonable cases.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-electric ... es/=q51qx3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I am thinking a smaller one, maybe like this, it has the knockouts too:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#75065K11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Cardinalbags
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Cardinalbags »

humbledore wrote:
Cardinalbags wrote:I purchased this metal box at at Harris&Roome electrical supply store for about $30. It measures 10"x10"x6" deep. More than enough space for internal wiring, relays, heat sink and phase angle controller. It has all the proper knock-outs on the sides of the box for incoming/outgoing wiring just like your home electrical panel.
image.jpg
One thing that is a little unnerving about electric is that it's dead silent until it gets going. I was thinking about some kind of "on" light. Is that what the light bulb is for?
Yes. I wired the lightbulb for a visual indicator that power is on to the boiler. My flow switch cuts power in the event I lose cooling water to the condenser. The analog ammeter and voltmeter also swing to zero, but its hard to not notice the light has gone out.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

humbledore wrote:Surprising, McMaster actually has some reasonable cases.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-electric ... es/=q51qx3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I am thinking a smaller one, maybe like this, it has the knockouts too:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#75065K11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
That smaller one is the same size as my plastic one. It's a good size for adding a fan and maybe an ampmeter or voltmeter.

S-C
YHB

Post by YHB »

A bit of a packing case, a couple of old floor boards and some left over paint.
DSC00820.JPG
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Now that is done up right! Now if you'll just hand me the missile launch codes I can take over.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

Sorry if I offended you YHB, I had a few that night. Hell, I'm having a few tonight too. But here is what I ended up with, the $15 case from Mcmaster. 6x6x4" high, with knockouts on multiple sides. I was shooting for something smaller.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1389241543200.jpg
Last edited by humbledore on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
YHB

Post by YHB »

humbledore wrote:Sorry if I offended you YHB
Why would I be offended? My shed is defiantly "early industrial" with more than a hint of steam punk. I think the controller box fits in nicely with the décor and blends in with the boiler.

I made the box a bit on the big size to leave room for temperature gauges and electronics etc, unfortunately the interference from the SSR wiped out the gauges and now they they are in a separate blue box on another wall.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by humbledore »

are the switches for the gauges only or do they turn the elements on/off?
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

This is mine controller in 6x6x4 plastic box:

DSC00345.JPG
Attachments
DSC00350.JPG