10,000w SCR vs SSR

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ddizzle22
Bootlegger

10,000w SCR vs SSR

Post by ddizzle22 »

I have been reading like crazy on what controller to get for my setup and just haven't pulled the trigger because don't know what is best. I have read crankys build and Jimbo and both seem like great options. What is the most up to date that everyone seems to be running. I already have my new gfci 240v 4 prong outlet wired in just need to pull the trigger on a controller to plug in.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 10,000w SCR vs SSR

Post by rgreen2002 »

10,000W SCR
10,000W SCR
I've been using this for a few years without a hitch. You can find them on ebay. Here is one from amazon too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018XXB7H0/re ... D96YHVKPRO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Truth is they ARE both great options... I think what you will get here is peoples opinions of each.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Yeah wasnt sure if one is better then the other since both threads have been a little while. I will probably go the route you went. Do you have any pictures of the case you put it in or anything?
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

ddizzle22 wrote:...Do you have any pictures of the case you put it in or anything?
Do I have pictures.... that's like asking a parent if they have pictures of their kids. Of course I do. :mrgreen:

Turns out I had posts all over the site. Here are a few links to my controller. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7413650 and http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=61846 are the main sites. You can see how I built it and then rebuilt it with a kill switch... Highly recommended. Also... look in the electric section ( http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=85 ) as there are many great builds there. It really isn't difficult and there are great resources in the thread. If you put together a quick diagram the folks here will even look it over to be sure youre safe. (I am by no means an electrician but my brother in law was very helpful there!)
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

OK...my wiring shot:
Wiring with 3 wire
Wiring with 3 wire
Wire enters from the left and exits the right. The green passes through to the keg where it is grounded to the metal cover of my element (basically the keg when attached) The white/black go to the switch. I have extra wires here (red circle) to attach the switch to the scr and the meter.
Wiring 2.jpg
Meter in red box, SCR in yellow
Meter in red box, SCR in yellow
Two More shots:
wiring 4.jpg
wiring 5.jpg
The fan in the lower right corner below the SCR is a 12v DC computer fan I hooked up with a separate power supply. I was going to use a 240v fan I had but it was too big... You could also put a led light in the fan circuit to let you know for sure that it is running(I'm getting to it in the future)...

Finally note the ferrite ring inductor passes over one of the wires following the SCR. I have mine on black but I believe you can use either. This configuration gives me dependable watts and that is how I adjust my power (not by amps or volts)

Again...check the electric builds area as there are many ideas and wiring diagrams there and if you're not sure....put a wiring diagram together and a pic here for someone to check out. Better safe than sorry here!

Hope this helps!
HD Glossary - Open this
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Awesome this helps alot. Did you ground the case at all or just off keg. Those pics help alot. Thank you
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

ddizzle22 wrote:Awesome this helps alot. Did you ground the case at all or just off keg. Those pics help alot. Thank you
I thought about grounding the case but up to this point I did not. So much of my case is not metal I didn't feel the need up to now. I think its a good idea though and I hope someone will come along with some more sage advice than I have about the box ground. :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I like my SSR and have been using that same one since I first wrote that thread. I do have all the parts to build another one sitting on my desk as backups should something fail, just in case. I can't say it is any better than the SCR but people have had the fans go bad on the SCRs. If my fan goes bad all I need to do is grab one of the others I have lying around. Of course that also seems to be the solution with the SCRs. I personally like the easy replaceability of the individual components on mine should something go bad instead of having to replace the entire unit. It all comes down to personal preference. I will say Frodo has been having some issues with his SSR lately that I have no idea how to help him with.

As far as grounding, I ground everything.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

cranky wrote:I like my SSR and have been using that same one since I first wrote that thread. I do have all the parts to build another one sitting on my desk as backups should something fail, just in case. I can't say it is any better than the SCR but people have had the fans go bad on the SCRs. If my fan goes bad all I need to do is grab one of the others I have lying around. Of course that also seems to be the solution with the SCRs. I personally like the easy replaceability of the individual components on mine should something go bad instead of having to replace the entire unit. It all comes down to personal preference. I will say Frodo has been having some issues with his SSR lately that I have no idea how to help him with.

As far as grounding, I ground everything.
I agree with having a backup cranky. These units have become so inexpensive that i have a backup unit on the shelf as well just in case. If the fan goes I could pull out the fan and replace it too I believe.
HD Glossary - Open this
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

what would be the best way to ground the box? If it was all plastic i dont think it would be needed right?
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

I actually assembled both styles of controller. The SCR based one I used three wire cord because it has a built in fan. I used 4 wire on the SSVR box so I could add a 120v phone charger and PC fan. My SSVR is rated at 75a and doesn't even get warm while in use. I know some of the fans have failed on the SCR units, but mine is still running just fine. Both are fine solutions. I'd say just pick one and start stillin!
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

masonsjax wrote:I actually assembled both styles of controller. The SCR based one I used three wire cord because it has a built in fan. I used 4 wire on the SSVR box so I could add a 120v phone charger and PC fan. My SSVR is rated at 75a and doesn't even get warm while in use. I know some of the fans have failed on the SCR units, but mine is still running just fine. Both are fine solutions. I'd say just pick one and start stillin!
Well said with all the help rgreen has been Im going to go the SCR route. I have 4 wire going so i plan to use a 120v phone charge and pc fan. My understanding is neutral and any hot leg and then to the phone charge will give me the 120v.
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

I now use the 10000w Chinese controller on my setup. It's been very reliable.

I have an ANALOG AMP meter between the controller and the 240v element on one of the two legs (red with meter, black no meter).

Question: If I want to install a switch on one of the legs to reduce power after the LM/VM still comes up to temperature (recommended by ZeroGee), should I pick the black element line?
-Just need something else to build. -
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

varocketry wrote:I now use the 10000w Chinese controller on my setup. It's been very reliable.

I have an ANALOG AMP meter between the controller and the 240v element on one of the two legs (red with meter, black no meter).

Question: If I want to install a switch on one of the legs to reduce power after the LM/VM still comes up to temperature (recommended by ZeroGee), should I pick the black element line?
It's my understanding that both legs are needed for the element to work, someone please correct me if I am wrong though.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Snackson wrote:
varocketry wrote:I now use the 10000w Chinese controller on my setup. It's been very reliable.

It's my understanding that both legs are needed for the element to work, someone please correct me if I am wrong though.
For 240V the element needs to receive 120V from each hot leg of the mains... For 120V the element needs one 120V leg and the Neutral leg... Neutral, not Ground even though Neutral ties to Ground at the panel...
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Well i went with the SCR and here is how far I have gotten. Got my box and mounted up the SCR and the meter to the cover.

So far the 2 screws and the pot on the front of the scr with the screw and washer through that seem like it holds the SCR great. Still waiting on my switch and I will post wiring pics before i fire this thing up.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Looking good! Keep the pic coming!
HD Glossary - Open this
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

My noob question I have is about the 2 screws that hold the scr to the top cover. I plan on attaching ground wires right off either back screw of the scr like others have done. It would be safe if the 2 screw heads were touched from outside the box correct?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

It should be safe, yes.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

still_stirrin wrote:It should be safe, yes.
Thought so just wanted to verify since the ground wire will be touching the same screws that would lead to those screws that could be touched outside the box.
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

If there was a short that put a hot wire in contact with the body of your controller (or other metal parts), the ground wire on that screw is what will save you from getting shocked if you were to touch it. Safety is the point of grounding the box.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

These are the screws that it looks like others on the forum have used for ground locations. I plan on doing the same. Just want to verify with the other 2 main screws holding it to the cover since they are able to be touched on outside.

masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Everything should be grounded, especially any metal that can potentially be touched from outside. Ground provides safety, not danger.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

masonsjax wrote:Everything should be grounded, especially any metal that can potentially be touched from outside. Ground provides safety, not danger.
So grounding off one of the red circled screws should be great for grounding the box correct?
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Working on the wiring but its coming along pretty good so far. Need to get those grommets for the 10/3 wire going in and out though.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

ddizzle22 wrote:Working on the wiring but its coming along pretty good so far. Need to get those grommets for the 10/3 wire going in and out though.
PG-19 cord grips, Larry sells them or you can get em on Amazon. Double check your cable though, the 10/3 I got at Home Depot was too thick, the stuff I bought online fits perfectly.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Thanks will check that out. Was going to take a piece of my cable with me to HD and see what they had.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Since i will have 4 wire coming into controller. You guys think it would be best to just get a wall wort and tap into the white wire for 120v or should i just go with a 240v fan and be done with it?
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

One is clean and simple, the other add options in case any of your ebay digital gauges require 12v. I built a wall wort option into mine (and it flops around).
-Just need something else to build. -
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

varocketry wrote:One is clean and simple, the other add options in case any of your ebay digital gauges require 12v. I built a wall wort option into mine (and it flops around).
Alright i will look for a 240v i guess then. Didnt think about how i would fix the wall wort to the box really.