Alva controller for the Grainfather

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Alva controller for the Grainfather

Post by Mikey-moo »

A friend of mine on another forum asked for my opinion on this: The Alva controller for the Grainfather when used as a pot still.

http://www.alva-control.eu/alva_blog/al ... ainfather/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So first I came here to see anyone else had posted about it. HD Google search has revealed nothing, so in the public interest I thought I'd write this post.

I cannot recommend this controller. From watching the video on the site, it's clear that this controller modulates the heat to the boiler based on the temperature measured by the probe, first in the boiler and then in the lyne arm. As you can imagine, this doesn't go very well... You can see it cycling on and off, with the red LED coming on when the element is powered up. This is causing surging and you can see the output going from drips to a stream and back to drips again. Surging causes smearing and is (usually) bad for your end product.

Also their flake stand is too small.

Of course - this is all just my opinion - feel free to take a look for yourselves.

Edited to show the correct video.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!