Who is running one of these? 220V AC SCR

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GSP
Novice

Who is running one of these? 220V AC SCR

Post by GSP »

Ordered one up after reading a thread here and said to self "That looks like it will work for me" and now can't find the thread after searching like a crazy dude with a migraine.
I had thought it was in the fleabay 10,0000 watt scr thread, but I appear to be blind or stupid. I need to bookmark things more often. :roll:
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_1036.jpeg
GSP
Novice

Re: Who is running one of these? 220V AC SCR

Post by GSP »

The link to fleabay if anyone is interested
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322345705721?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Many of us are running something very similar. That one is only 5000W so dont run it with a Camco 5500 ulwd element. My electric thread in the signature has details.

Do you have a question about these?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
GSP
Novice

Post by GSP »

Running it on a 4500 ULWD element. Got parts coming in from all over, just mocking stuff up in my head.
3 wire 240 off my old water heater circuit after I switched to a gas unit.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

You need more margin. Running 4500w on a 5000w SCR and that thing will get screaming hot. Put a fan on it or just get the 10000w one. They're cheap
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Hint...."get two".
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
GSP
Novice

Post by GSP »

I ordered a 10KW version, I will run this with a fan or as a spare or for a beer brewing rig.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Multiple rigs is always nice. I have 2 as you can see in the thread. And two 1/2 bbl cookers. For spirits it allows me to heat 30g water for large double batch mashes (70 lbs grain). And for brewing beer it allows me to do 2 back to back 10g batches in 7 hours, staggering the batches by 1.5 hours to share a mashtun and boiler.

Time is in short supply, efficiency is king.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

GSP wrote:Running it on a 4500 ULWD element. Got parts coming in from all over, just mocking stuff up in my head.
Running off your old hot water heater circuit could be a problem.. hot water tank run on a 3000 watt element and off a 20 amp breaker even doe they have 2 elements, but only 1 element is running at any one time.. and the wiring is usually 2 wire 10 gauge plus one for ground, that is not the same as 3 wire.. check your wiring gauge and breaker size..

Your setup can still be made to run on your 2 wire if its 10 gauge (if that is what is installed), but will have less flexibility than the 3 wire when using a controller..
If you have 2 wire and its 10 gauge, make sure you upgrade to a 30 amp breaker..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
GSP
Novice

Post by GSP »

StillerBoy wrote:
GSP wrote:Running it on a 4500 ULWD element. Got parts coming in from all over, just mocking stuff up in my head.
Running off your old hot water heater circuit could be a problem.. hot water tank run on a 3000 watt element and off a 20 amp breaker even doe they have 2 elements, but only 1 element is running at any one time.. and the wiring is usually 2 wire 10 gauge plus one for ground, that is not the same as 3 wire.. check your wiring gauge and breaker size..

Your setup can still be made to run on your 2 wire if its 10 gauge (if that is what is installed), but will have less flexibility than the 3 wire when using a controller..
If you have 2 wire and its 10 gauge, make sure you upgrade to a 30 amp breaker..

Mars
It's a 30 Amp service.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

GSP wrote:It's a 30 Amp service.
I hope you wanted to say that it's service by a 30 amp breaker.. became a 30 amp service is not the same..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
GSP
Novice

Post by GSP »

yes, 30 amp breaker and lovely orange romex, terminated in a switch box.