Still Dragon control question

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ferthy
Novice

Still Dragon control question

Post by Ferthy »

I will try and keeping this brief. I just purchased a 5gal. Keg. Still waiting on the ferrules and what not to arrive. My next task is building a power control to run a 1500w internal element at 120v to heat my potstill. I have been reading on here and watching YouTube vids about scr controls which was what I originally got panned to build. However Shineon pointed me to the diy Still dragon controller. Which I have been reading about.and for the simplicity of not having to scrounge around for parts that might work on eBay I like the idea of supporting SD and using something that seems more tried and true.

Shineon and others I have found on other sites have used it on a 120v set up. My questions is about wiring it.

Now I found a wiring diagram off of the SD site but can get it onto my post so excuse me for that. I will try and get it. But it is for a 240v set up. With a red wire going to the SSR then the heat element and a black wire going straight to the heat element. Now from what I read for a 120v set up the black (neutral) would got straight to the element. While the hot (red) would go first the the SSR then the element. And of course the box and keg would be grounded as well as the potentiometer would be wired and grounded the the SSR.

Any thoughts? Am I correct in all this?
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Still Dragon control question

Post by Snackson »

Easy Peasy. Black wire in from outlet, to a switch (if you are using an on/off switch), black wire to terminal one on SSVR, black wire from terminal 2 on SSVR out to element. The white neutral can go all the way through to the element. Ground anything metal in the enclosure and also ensure ground goes out to element.

I hope this was clear enough for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited to add: Black wire is Hot, White is Neutral, and Green is ground.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have SD's 240 controller. It's pretty easy and Larry is very helpful if you have questions.
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

Would it be wise to through a fan in there too?
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

And Snackson yes that is pretty clear.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

The fan can certainly increase the service life of the SSR. But you'll find that that the service life is otherwise good for several years.

Don't forget to drill the vent holes in the box.

Had a pro that hired someone to build theirs,,,,,you know,,,because electricians know all about this stuff. Anyway, the dingbat didn't (follow directions)drill the vent holes.

Guess what happened?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

I'm guessing he had a nice ozone smell and a broken control. Possibly a new nickname.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Let's just say he let the magic smoke out.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Just can't get that magic smoke back in.. I use a SD unit and its working really well for me
Ferthy
Novice

Post by Ferthy »

Then I'm getting one. I will post pictures of the wire up just to make sure i don't blow anything up before I fire it up. Thanks for all the input.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Ferthy wrote:...However Shineon* pointed me to the diy Still dragon controller.
*SCD :thumbup:

Lest I be confused with the imposter :ebiggrin: I don't care much for any credit of simply paying it forward, but one day you're bound to quote something dumb I said. I don't need 2 of us in time out :lolno:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Ferthy wrote:Then I'm getting one. I will post pictures of the wire up just to make sure i don't blow anything up before I fire it up. Thanks for all the input.
Email me at smaug@stilldragon.com if you need need me to send the tutorial.
Wildcatdistiller
Novice

Post by Wildcatdistiller »

Hey Larry,

I bought the small controller is it also for 220?? I'm hoping so.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Do you really need to bother with a controller for a 1500 watt pot still? You cant turn it up, and would you even want to turn it down?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

zapata wrote:Do you really need to bother with a controller for a 1500 watt pot still? You cant turn it up, and would you even want to turn it down?
I can say from experience, yes! Can't pull fores and heads slow without some power control ( pot stillin). But for stripping and refluxing, Ya, turn it up to a full tilt boogie.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Interesting, well then, carry on. Perhaps its batch scale, or that I use a ratjer large riser, but I've never felt the need to go particularly slow for fores or heads.
Wildcatdistiller
Novice

Post by Wildcatdistiller »

I'm rolling with 5500 watt rippple and bought the small controller hoping it works on 220
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Wildcatdistiller wrote:I'm rolling with 5500 watt rippple and bought the small controller hoping it works on 220
The only difference between the small and large is the size of the plastic box. I bought the large, and you can see how much larger the box is in my pictures compared to the one shown in the pictures in the instructions they link on their own site:

Large box: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=65705
Small Box: https://www.stilldragon.org/uploads/man ... 131020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Works just fine for my 5500w ripple element running on 220/240v