Fermentation temp controller help! multi 14gal glass jugs

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dr Yummm
Novice

Fermentation temp controller help! multi 14gal glass jugs

Post by Dr Yummm »

Greets! New to the whole process here, but I tripped into several glass 14 gallon demijohns on the cheap. I'd like to use them for sugar washes to start and was thinking of using an aquarium heater to heat them. I see the reccoment around for controllers but having several containers it would appear I would need a controller for each of them. Any ideas?
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Fermentation temp controller help! multi 14gal glass jug

Post by Badmotivator »

I have three large fermenters in my garage. I have one thermostatic controller with its probe in one of the fermenters. The controller switches a power strip which powers all of my fermwraps. I assume that while they will not all be the same temperature, the difference will not be great. Give that a shot using water some time, and test the temps after a couple of days to reassure yourself that the plan works.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A fridge or freezer, going or not, makes a great insulated cabinet, not usually needing more than 100Watts of element plus a cheap controller from ebay.
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Those are both great options, thanks!
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Ink bird makes a great controller for about $35. With those, any element will work. Fish tank heaters work ok if your fermenters are small.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

bluefish_dist wrote:Ink bird makes a great controller for about $35. With those, any element will work. Fish tank heaters work ok if your fermenters are small.
The only time I trusted an aquarium heater in a wash, it failed to heat below the element and left the yeast bed cold. The same heater (glass), broke while heating 6 gallons of milk last week, so I also recommend avoiding glass heaters.
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Well I was thinking those aquarium heaters because they are so damn cheap. $4 on eBay or so and would not be a big loss if they broke in a sugar wash every once in a while. But I see some people have problems with them other then breaking.

Am considering building a large insulated box (4-5 12 gallon carboys is alot of space) with a thermostat controlled space heater inside it and maybe a secondary thermostat controlled inside one of the jugs to Controll it. But I really don't want to over think it or spend alot. I mean if a simpler way presents itself I would be all,about it.

Should probably try fermenting at my current room temps before I spend a bunch of money or make a useless box.... And spring is just around the corner.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Aquarium heaters are not the best option, but they do work. I too had issues with stratification once the yeast slowed down. I never broke one, but could see how it could happen.
Now I use ink bird controllers and a water heater element. The element is close to the bottom with the temp probe at the top. That seems to promote good convection and the washes keep at a constant temperature. They are also easy to set for different yeasts.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Nice! Thanks... That sounds ideal. Although I just noticed these $6.80 220v 80w heat belts outta Hong Kong.... (Which is probably where they are all made anyways). But they are 220v.... http://m.ebay.com/itm/Home-Brew-Heating ... iid%253A23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow. What a pain! (Edit). $9 110v version.... http://m.ebay.com/itm/Home-Brew-Red-Hea ... 1241197485" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I use brewing heat belts (the 20 watt green belt ones)( have the chinese red belts also, and they good also) with insulation on the fermenters.. the heat belt are control from a dimer light switch setup from which I can regulate the belts with.. this keeps my fermenters at the 80F degree with my ambiance temp at 60/62F..

Mars
Attachments
Picture 83002.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Dr Yummm
Novice

Post by Dr Yummm »

Nice setup! Looks like a winner to me! I can fix that up on a budget for sure... Looks efficient too if a person doesn't mind turning a knob once in a while.
Ridgerunnr
Novice

Post by Ridgerunnr »

Water heater elements? I have several 40 gal food grade barrels and was wondering how to keep a wash at good happy yeast temps. Any suggestions on what heater elements and how to use that set up?
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Get some ink bird controllers as they are relatively cheap, $35 ea. They have a heat and cooling outlet as the output, so you simply wire a water heater element to a 110 plug, then plug that into the outlet on the ink bird for heat. Put the thermometer into the wash and you are good to go.
If you want to get fancy, use triclamp mounts for the heater elements. I used 4000w 240v elements as they are about 1000w when run on 110. That will easily heat over 100 gallons.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051