Help with pid for malt dryer.

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Help with pid for malt dryer.

Post by yakattack »

Hay guys. Specific question here. Building my malt kiln/ dryer today. Couldnt find a thermostat that would work locally for my build.

I am looking at going th PID route. I have one that I am looking at but if someone uses these aleady and has a better or cheaper solution I'm all ears.

I am looking at this pid http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And then as far as I know I just need a type k thermo to read the temp. Hook up element to the pid and it control temp by cycling the heating element on and off....

Am I correct?

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help with pid for malt dryer.

Post by bitter »

Yak,

If you are serious you could use an ardrino to control using temp sensors and also a humidity probe (Would need a SSR also to control heat source, maybe a second to control fans but PWM would be better for computer fans.). You could use this to create a program/ drying routine that you load the unit and just let it go. But is more work..

B
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I'm watching you... :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

That's the idea. Load and let it do it's job. Humidity sensors a good idea.

Here's the same thing with a built in ssr.... this more what you are talking about? Had an auto tune function already built in.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

If your setup like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojhYwdnvbU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I would use 3 temp probes like he did.. Above , below and in malt

Humidity would be checked at the top.

You could adjust the temp dynamically as the humidity changes.. yet still ensure the malt does not get above the max temp you want.

B
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

That's actually one of the vids I watched to get an idea lol. But he's using a hot plate, where I want to use a small smoker element that I already have. So need a pid to control it.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Look at some thing like

Inkbird 100 ~240VAC ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1000W, w/ Sensor

B
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Wow good find bitter. I think I'll be ordering that tonight. Will get here just in time to dry my malt. Excellent. Thank you very much.

God I love this place.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

NP anytime. Many use those for fermentation cabinet controllers and kegerators.

B