Motorized mash paddle

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DVW70
Site Donor
Site Donor

Motorized mash paddle

Post by DVW70 »

https://youtu.be/2QQXCkTNAC8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

1/2" copper rod (not a shaft) that needs some trueing.
12v worm gear motor from Scientific Surplus
Various bushings and coupling from McMaster
Threaded rod from garage along with washers and nuts
Wood from garage
Copper paddle from halved 1.25" copper pipe (on the table saw sandwhiched between 1/2 plywood) I would be careful because wood blades bite wood and metal blades have a reverse pitch. Or use a die grinder.
Round wood disk from Home Depot
Running all night

Only a 10 gallon pot with 9 gallons of ag corn/rye barley. Just tested the Brix at 15 which requires two step mash or it gets too thick, but works for me... I'm not in a rush. And I dont have stop for stirring so both hands are completely free.

The 1/4" copper has very little water flowing through it and cools it significantly.

Total build 57 dollars
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Motorized mash paddle

Post by der wo »

Gratulations! The rotation looks very even. Looks like a very stable long life construction.

As I said in your other thread, I think a CPU fan would be easier than a water coil to cool the motor down.
And a copper pipe is perhaps a bit more stable than a rod or shaft.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice, for that price you must of already had some of the equipment like the motor. Agree with der wo on the build but now having done it's there anything you would do differently.
DVW70
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DVW70 »

Bushman wrote:Nice, for that price you must of already had some of the equipment like the motor. Agree with der wo on the build but now having done it's there anything you would do differently.
yes i added an upper paddle and shortened the lower paddle more - more rpm less sticking -