Does this wiring look correct

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Does this wiring look correct

Post by StillerBoy »

Just like this Piper.. but the plugs are pricey here in canada..

Mars
Attachments
Meter with detachable cords
Meter with detachable cords
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Yeah...was just looking at them. $35 CND ($1.50 US :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I'm going to a recycle place that sells used construction stuff on the weekend. See if I can pick up some supplies for cheap.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Looks very neat and tidy Mars.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

@joeymac

Thanks for the parts break down. Will save me search time. Who said this was Super Simple?? (thanks Cranky :shock: )
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

piperdave wrote:Ahhhhhh....for ease of storage. With plugs I would be able to break it all down and get it out of the way. You guys have a way of making my pocketbook lighter. :shock:
Look at it this way... when you're done, you might have spent $150 or so on the controller, but it's better than a lot of controllers costing 3X that much on the market.

I could build this controller right here with properly load rated parts and more safety than this one has for under $500. Easily.
They want $2999. http://www.hiproofproducts.com/store/p1 ... v16.4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I could build this controller with dual independent regulated outputs (and also more safety with properly load rated parts) for about $300.
They want $695. http://www.hiproofproducts.com/store/p1 ... v16.3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

For the same reason you're making your own spirits, there's no reason not make yourself a quality product for less money and have fun while doing it.
That being said... yeah, you can also scrounge together parts and make a $25 controller from salvaged parts assembled in a shoebox. That works too.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Just kidding about the money thing. I don't mind spending as few bucks to do thing right. I want it done right and not look like some half assed thing I threw together and if it looks good it will inspire confidence in the SOH as well. I have to justify that extra dryer outlet I had installed.
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

My parents rewired their house recently and I helped them a bit.
I convinced them to let me run some 6/2 and 12/3 NM-B from their service panel to the garage for 50A service. "Futuristic electric car charging", I told them... "there's no easier time to upgrade for things like this then when your walls are ripped out." I should have a second place at their house to do some stillin' by this fall. :twisted: :lol:

It's not technically a lie... if they ever get an electric car they can charge it there. :roll:

Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me add some copper plumbing all the way to the garage too. :think:
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Damn right, joeymac. It would have been downright wasteful to not string those wires through the studs when you had such a perfect opportunity.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Reno time is the perfect time to put that 240 outlet in. Just had to tell the sparky to do it and it was done.
PLAYMP
Bootlegger

Post by PLAYMP »

piperdave wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:19 pm This should be the final version (famous last words :lol: ).

Controller-final.png
I hope nobody minds if I bump this. I'm really interested in the use of the terminal block in OP's diagram and think it can really help keep things neat and tidy and organized.

I want to make sure I'm interpreting the diagram right. Are those just extra pieces of wire that are connecting the red terminals on the left side and black terminals on the right? And if so, is it best practice to insert 2 or 3 wires into those terminals or should they be connected before the terminal block via wire nut or something?

Lastly, is there a reason the volt/amp meter is on the right side of the terminal and separate from the fan and LED? Or is that just to make the diagram clean.

Thanks! Been poring over this stuff and it's incredible how the more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

PLAYMP wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:21 amI want to make sure I'm interpreting the diagram right.

Are those just extra pieces of wire that are connecting the red terminals on the left side and black terminals on the right? <— Yes, they’re jumpers to provide +V (and -V) to the light, fan, and voltmeter, etc.

And if so, is it best practice to insert 2 or 3 wires into those terminals or should they be connected before the terminal block via wire nut or something?<— “Best practice” would be separate lugs on the terminal block using the jumpers as shown. Wire nuts work, but are not the best solution. If you have a terminal block with enough connections, use that.

Lastly, is there a reason the volt/amp meter is on the right side of the terminal and separate from the fan and LED? Or is that just to make the diagram clean. <— “Neatness is next to godliness”, or in the case of an electrical schematic, it helps to organize the wire routing to avoid confusion. Placement in a panel or on a circuit board is also a “work of art”, so plan it wisely.
Remember, if it “looks professional” soon everyone will believe it is! Go with the pro’s.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K