Wash clarity vs Scorching on Elec. Element?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BDF
Swill Maker

Wash clarity vs Scorching on Elec. Element?

Post by BDF »

I've got a batch of UJSSM underway, and I intend to use a 5500w ULWD ripple element w/controller to run it as a pot still.

In searches on this forum and others, I've seen different people both claim that:
1. An ULWD could never scorch even if you tried
2. That the wash needs to be completely cleared and run on half power to prevent scorching (no mention of element type)

I know that you can't run on the grain as a given, but I get the feeling that the truth of the matter lies somewhere in between. As long as fermentation has stopped and sugars are used up, and I rack liquid in without solids, would I be good to crank up the element to max for a stripping run if my condenser can knock it all down? or should it be turned down to avoid scorching on any charge that isn't as clear as low wines?
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Wash clarity vs Scorching on Elec. Element?

Post by HDNB »

the only thing ive scorched was hi-rye. run lots full out until hot and dial back to run. my pc runs out at 17 a but i usually strip at 12 and spirit at 6.6-8.5
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

HDNB wrote:the only thing ive scorched was hi-rye. run lots full out until hot and dial back to run. my pc runs out at 17 a but i usually strip at 12 and spirit at 6.6-8.5
If you can run it on full for the heat-up, why dial it back when stripping? Trying to prevent puking? Condenser can't handle full power? other?
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

May have been over-thinking this.

Done two runs of UJSSM so far, mostly clear when siphoning, semi-opaque doen near the grain bed, had a cheese cloth sock over the inlet to the auto-siphon that kept large solids out. No scorching of any kind that I could tell.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

you can run it full tits if you want, I've done it plenty times with cloudy beer with grain bits in there.
never scorched, you can get a bit of grain bits on it though but that washes of easily
Don't be a dick
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I rack it through a mesh strainer and have never had a scorch with electric
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I believe scorching occurs when the solid parts can not move away freely and must stay on the hot spots.
I always use boiling cents on my gas stove and as long as they rattle the risk of scorching is low. But when they get stuck in the solids and stop rattling, the scorching starts.
So take enough fluids or use a stirringsystem or a thumper.
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Been there done that.
Just try putting some trub or Lees whatever you want to call it with your ULWD element and see what happens.
I tried it.
Once!

Doesn't take much either.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

BDF wrote:
HDNB wrote:the only thing ive scorched was hi-rye. run lots full out until hot and dial back to run. my pc runs out at 17 a but i usually strip at 12 and spirit at 6.6-8.5
If you can run it on full for the heat-up, why dial it back when stripping? Trying to prevent puking? Condenser can't handle full power? other?
my PC runs out of cooling at 17A. it's a 4x 1/2" in 2" shotgun, figger it's more of a vapour speed problem than a heat transfer.
Stripping at 12A i don't risk overpowering the PC and the take off rate is not much slower than at 17 when it's on the edge of steaming and the recirc water gets hotter faster.
i turn up the heat when there is snow available.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.