Two way motorized ball valve rc control

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

wiifm
Admin

Two way motorized ball valve rc control

Post by wiifm »

Today and in the past week or so, I have finally pulled my finger out and done a couple of stripping runs on a neutral sugarhead, so bodgied together a reflux 'controller' to play with.

I have:
- Arduino
- PT100 sensor measuring temp above the four plates, but below the packed section - not ideal, but it is what I have
- pressure sensor measuring atmospheric pressure (for ABV calculation compensation)
- motor controller wired to two way motorised ball valve

Through the computer, I am able to set a target ABV. The temp and pressure readings are then used to calculated the ABV%. The Arduino has a PID program in it which varies the flow of coolant water through the RC in order to achieve the target ABV. I am able to manually change the P,I and D settings and visualise their effect on response.

Vids below

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Two way motorized ball valve rc control

Post by shadylane »

I love experiments :thumbup: Correct me if I'm wrong :oops:
Wouldn't a smooth and steady cooling flow to the RC, work better than radical changes :?:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

shadylane wrote: Wouldn't a smooth and steady cooling flow to the RC, work better than radical changes :?:
Shady , I think it was Swede and defnitely Old dog and wiifm have used pulsed flow though the RC using solenoid controlled valves that click on and off ....the thermal mass of the RC averages the fluctuation in flow .
wiifm
Admin

Post by wiifm »

shadylane wrote:I love experiments :thumbup: Correct me if I'm wrong :oops:
Wouldn't a smooth and steady cooling flow to the RC, work better than radical changes :?:
As yummy said above, I have used solenoid valves with good success in the past. It is just the incessant clicking that gets to be a pita.

There were times when I had it tuned in so the flow was varied in only very small amounts and was able to maintain a steady abv. Just didnt have the camera out for those moments.

For me this experiment was to test if i can get the fine control with the cheap chinese ball valves and it was a success in that regard.

More work to be done on the PID settings now :thumbup:
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

Do you have a link to these valves?

I use an Arduino as part of my rig as well. Mostly just for monitoring temps. It would be really cool if It could adjust the coolant flow to my condensers based on a target temp.
wiifm
Admin

Post by wiifm »

Kegg_jam wrote:Do you have a link to these valves?

I use an Arduino as part of my rig as well. Mostly just for monitoring temps. It would be really cool if It could adjust the coolant flow to my condensers based on a target temp.
Search for CR5 motorized ball valves. These ones are two directional as opposed to others which have a spring return. The one I chose requires 12v and has limit switches which you can use as an interrupt on the Arduino. You will need a motor controller shield and 12v power supply also.