Heating to INDUCTION,

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Elrospo
Novice

Heating to INDUCTION,

Post by Elrospo »

ANY HAVE TESTED, HEATING IN INDUCTION,
 Copper sandwich with inside magnetic iron ,?
IDEA is doing enough
 Copper sandwiches with inside magnetic iron,
To be inserted in the boiler
Attachments
333.jpg
BDF
Swill Maker

Re: Heating to INDUCTION,

Post by BDF »

Non-ferrous or non-magnetic metals can have currents induced them by electric/magnetic fields, such as copper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BeFoz3Ypo4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So unless your boiler is made of electrically insulating materials, you're going to be inducing eddy currents and thus heat, in the walls of your stainless/copepr boiler just as much as you would the hunk of iron/copper you tossed inside. If you have the amount of power available to run an electromagnet, why not just simply and get yourself a standard resistive stainless heater element?
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 BDF

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I would assume the eddy currents generated in the walls of the boiler, wouldn't be high enough to get sufficient heat for a boil (unless you use a shit load of power).
I also assume, the enclosed ferrous material will be "shielded" from the energy input, due to the walls of the boiler. Think of Faraday's cage... Btw...copper is used as RF shielding.
So this whole arrangement will probably prove to be unpractical for our purposes.
True, induction heated cookware is sandwiched that way, but it's not inside a metal vessel...it sits directly on the cooking range.
Elrospo
Novice

Post by Elrospo »

BDF wrote:Non-ferrous or non-magnetic metals can have currents induced them by electric/magnetic fields, such as copper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BeFoz3Ypo4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So unless your boiler is made of electrically insulating materials, you're going to be inducing eddy currents and thus heat, in the walls of your stainless/copepr boiler just as much as you would the hunk of iron/copper you tossed inside. If you have the amount of power available to run an electromagnet, why not just simply and get yourself a standard resistive stainless heater element?
If copper / stainless steel boilers are "transparent" to household magnetic induction, this could work, increase electrical safety
Elrospo
Novice

Post by Elrospo »

Danespirit wrote:+1 BDF

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I would assume the eddy currents generated in the walls of the boiler, wouldn't be high enough to get sufficient heat for a boil (unless you use a shit load of power).
I also assume, the enclosed ferrous material will be "shielded" from the energy input, due to the walls of the boiler. Think of Faraday's cage... Btw...copper is used as RF shielding.
So this whole arrangement will probably prove to be unpractical for our purposes.
True, induction heated cookware is sandwiched that way, but it's not inside a metal vessel...it sits directly on the cooking range.
An attempt can be made because it costs relatively little
I'm not even an engineer and if memory does not deceive me, gravity and magnetism can not be blocked
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Magnetism can be blocked quite easily. It doesn't take much to do so.
Amongst usual metals, one has different metal alloys, specifically designed to do so. A thin plate of such material is all it takes to block or weaken a magnetic field.
Therefore my reasoning regarding the induction container inside a boiler made out of metal.
Gravity is a universal unit, that is present everywhere and can't be blocked (to the best knowledge of science).
It exists all over the universe in a more or less powerful manner, depending on the distance to a mass i.e. planets and stars.
However, you are right, it doesn't cost much effort to make an experiment.
I'd be glad to know the outcome of it and see if it's a viable option.