newbie question ( heating element buzzing)

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

huxley
Novice

newbie question ( heating element buzzing)

Post by huxley »

I tried my still the other day, first time using the heating element and electric controller. from 1 to 6 on the controller is fine but after 6 the heating element starts a buzzing noise, then stops at 9 on the controller (at max)

setup is 8 gallon, 110V Heater Controller with 2000 Watt Element & Boiler Adapter

wondering if that is normal

thanks
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: newbie question ( heating element buzzing)

Post by HDNB »

the element in the kettle? or is the buzz from the controller?

can't say as i have ever heard of the possibility of the element making noise. weird. if it is the element, i'd like to see (hear) video evidence so i know what to listen for.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Heater belts will buzz when fully powered. It's a physics thing, but usually only perceptible and not obnoxious or sign of failure.
Control panel buzzing usually means imminent load (heater) failure, and not necessarily control panel fault.
Can't speak for elements.
Aussiedownunder01
Bootlegger

Post by Aussiedownunder01 »

My heaters make a noise when I have my hearing aids in other wise nothing :think:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

With the element under load it will make some noise. This isn't so much the element itself, but rather the element flash boiling the liquid directly in contact with the element.

If this is the noise you are hearing, it should subside or stop altogether as soon as your boiler comes to temp.

If this isn't what you are hearing, then you will need to do as hdnb suggested and get a small video of it so we can hear it.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Buzzing will be down to vibration. Our hearing is confined to low fairly frequencies and the range gets smaller as we age (see the member with the hearing aids). Depending on the way your power supply works, it is probably based on a "chopper" of some sort and I suspect it will be the frequency of the switching which is the frequency you are hearing. Which particular element of your circuit is acting as a "speaker" I can't say. However, annoying t may be, dangerous - I don't think so - can you muffle it somehow ?
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Also, check that the element isn't actually touching the boiler. If your element port is low in the boiler and you are using a foldback or ripple element, it could be touching the bottom of the boiler coupling the switching noise to the boiler. If this is the case, try rotating the element so it doesn't touch.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Buzzing electric circuits usually means something is loose. It could be the element, or even the resistive coil inside the element case. Or, it could be in the circuit board elements, such as a noisy capacitor. In any case, the noise will end when the circuit fails...whenever that is. Bargain components can often be the source.

But the bottomline is..."use it till you lose it"...whenever that is.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Both of mine buzz for a while too. It stops as the temperature comes​ up.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

You Say the element is buzzing at high but not maximum power ? This must be caused by movement or flexing. Have you tried Holding the element or pressing gently with a stick or something to see if that stops it ?
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

>But the bottomline is..."use it till you lose it"

I would suggest ... "always have a backup."

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

greggn wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:...But the bottomline is..."use it till you lose it"
I would suggest ... "always have a backup."
:thumbup:

If the element is buzzing, which it is, definitely get a replacement asap for when this one "gives up the ghost".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

If its a 60hz hum (same frequency as you'd hear from a florescent bulb) I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as your current draw is as expected, and no breakers are tripping. The sound in an of itself isn't sufficient to worry sans any other symptoms like overheating controllers or tripping breakers.
huxley
Novice

Post by huxley »

thanks for everyone's advise. no, the element isn't a wavy one, just a straight one, and it doesnt touch the tank. and the buzzing is more like one member suggested. More of an electrical buzzing of a light bulb. and good advise about , I should get a backup element in case this one breaks.

I'll try it again with just water while the still is open , just to see if there's any vibration or not, but I didn't feel anything vibration from the tank last time, but I'll check again.

Thanks everyone . I appreciate it a lot.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

So funny story.

I was making a run last night, and had just plugged in my controller, and turned the controller on. And wouldn't you know it, from about 55 prcent to 90 percent, my element was buzzing( like a light) soon as the controller hit 100% it stopped, and at which point I could hear the element flash boiling the water.

I'm guessing most people don't notice it even if theirs does it because we tend to usually heat up quick and then dial back. At which point the still will be making enough noise to mask the hum from the element if it's run at that range.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
huxley
Novice

Post by huxley »

yakattack wrote:So funny story.

I was making a run last night, and had just plugged in my controller, and turned the controller on. And wouldn't you know it, from about 55 prcent to 90 percent, my element was buzzing( like a light) soon as the controller hit 100% it stopped, and at which point I could hear the element flash boiling the water.

I'm guessing most people don't notice it even if theirs does it because we tend to usually heat up quick and then dial back. At which point the still will be making enough noise to mask the hum from the element if it's run at that range.
thanks for the info.
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

I just read this thread so this could be a bit late .... from I am getting you use an electronic controller if that is the case I will answer your question. the electronic controllers use devices caled triacs which controll the sine wave of the ower at the lower power/ settings there is a lot of sinewave cut of so the element in the biler is not over powered that is why yo can not hear it at the middle there could be 20 to 24 % os sinewave cut off so there is some kind of fast knocking/ buzzing sound butat the full power 100 % of sinewave is poassed to the load so it is smooth.
Do not warry of that sound it is normal check if any components on the contrller are overheating.

Regards PapaPro
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better