Distiller's scale

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Edwin Croissant
Swill Maker

Distiller's scale

Post by Edwin Croissant »

I modified a digital kitchen scale that I bought in a goodwill store into a more versatile instrument.

Features:
  • displays weight in grams
  • 4 alarms to choose from, each can be set by example or by editing the value.
  • displays remaining time until alarm
  • displays rate in grams per minute
More information can be found on Github

Some pictures:
scale 1.jpg
scale 2.jpg
scale_bottom.jpg
scale_top.jpg
"In all affairs, it’s a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.”
Bertrand Russell
BDF
Swill Maker

Re: Distiller's scale

Post by BDF »

From what I read, it appears that the purpose of this is to be able to set off an alert/alarm when a collection container is near full and needs to be swapped out. And especially for the case of collecting in smaller containers while learning what different portions of the run taste like.

Interesting, could be used as a safety feature if one knows they can be a bit absent minded while attending a still, and would safeguard against themselves by using measures like this to prevent spillage/overflowing near an open flame. Certainly this isn't a tool used to enable leaving a still unattended :sarcasm:
Last edited by BDF on Fri May 26, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Surely you don't collect your spirits in that poly pitcher, do you? :oops:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Edwin Croissant
Swill Maker

Post by Edwin Croissant »

BDF wrote:From what I read, it appears that the purpose of this is to be able to set off an alert/alarm when a collection container is near full and needs to be swapped out. And especially for the case of collecting in smaller containers while learning what different portions of the run taste like.

Interesting, could be used as a safety feature if one knows they can be a bit absent minded while attending a still, and would safeguard against themselves by using measures like this to prevent spillage/overflowing near an open flame. Certainly this isn't a tool used to enable leaving a still unattended :sarcasm:
Exactly. You can see this as a safety feature. You will have to be in the vicinity to hear the alarm so it can prevent spills while checking for leaks, cooling water feed etc. :)
still_stirrin wrote:Surely you don't collect your spirits in that poly pitcher, do you? :oops:
I don't use plastics when handling spirits :angel: . Testing was done with tap water.
"In all affairs, it’s a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.”
Bertrand Russell
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Damn, nice mod. I'd love one...i'm stupid enough that i have had an overflow while standing right there. I chose the analogue method of an overflow tray and electric heat for that still...but this would idiot proof the idiot proofing.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I think this is a good idea and I have a set of scales and a container that I bought for this purpose a couple of years ago.
I didn't get around to building it though because I'm an old hand at the game and mostly only use small jars at the start while waiting for hearts and at the very end when expecting tails, but for beginners still learning the craft and using jars for the whole run, I reckon it's a great tool.