Grain Guard

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Badlands86
Novice

Grain Guard

Post by Badlands86 »

I know the topic has been talked about here and there but I couldn't find any discussion about how they performed. Does anybody have any experience with distilling on the grain while using a grain guard for your electric element? Here is what I'm referring to...http://www.hillbillystills.com/product/grain-guard/

Thanks for any help
Badlands

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy" - Frank Sinatra
guittarmaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Grain Guard

Post by guittarmaster »

That's different. Iv'e never ran with one or read about anyone running with one. I can't imagine it working very well but i could be completely wrong.
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I have experimented much with on the grain and scorching. Screens or similar experiments failed.
Perhaps this thread is interesting for you:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=59737
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

The thread der wo linked to will answer all your questions. But being one of the people who tested it, I can tell you from first hand experience that it will not work for distilling on the grain. The fine partials still end up scorching on the element. That with using both large and small size screen.

You're limited to a jacketed boiler and agitation or gass fired with agitation or steam injection for running on the grain. With steam being my personal choice. Or if you're really feeling up to a challange build yourself a jacketed steam injection hybrid. Shadylane built one. I was until the person I had welding some stuff on the boiler dropped off the face of the earth and moved. :evil:

Anyways hope that helps.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

That being said: I stilled some grainwash with a thumper. Put the clear liquid on top of the ferment in the boiler and some heavy sediment in the thumper. No problem with scorching.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Kareltje wrote:That being said: I stilled some grainwash with a thumper. Put the clear liquid on top of the ferment in the boiler and some heavy sediment in the thumper. No problem with scorching.

Also known as running with steam...
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.