Help a idiot with electrical?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Help a idiot with electrical?

Post by DAD300 »

Yes you could leave it the way it is...if you ever feel a shock through your boiler, then you can decide.

You have everything you need to fix it, but it would be more convenient to add a dedicated ground bar, about $8usd.

Don't change the Neutral, just take the ground wire from under the yellow Neutral. Add a Ground bar from a big box store $8, screw the bare copper wire to it and all the circuit ground wires.

You don't need t change your controller.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

no wonder this is confusing. in Canada the boxes all have a ground buss bar attached to the box and a neutral bar like the ones shown in the pictures. it's pretty self explanatory when there is a place for each.

i gotta ask though:
RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
HDNB wrote: i.e. return voltage from my furthest lights/appliances to my pole is maybe 500 feet, if the pole was the only earth ground there could be an awful lot of current on that one conductor collected from the whole farm.
If you're carrying current on the earth ground, something is wrong. Neutral yes, ground no.
if power comes from 1/2 the transformer >goes to> the breaker (p1) >goes to> (wall plug) the "appliance" then returns on neutral> goes back to wall socket> goes back to neutral buss bar....neutral buss bar is common to earth ground in the box....where the fuck does the electrons go if they don't go to ground? :think: (not sarcasm legit question hopefully still on topic)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

HDNB wrote: if power comes from 1/2 the transformer >goes to> the breaker (p1) >goes to> (wall plug) the "appliance" then returns on neutral> goes back to wall socket> goes back to neutral buss bar....neutral buss bar is common to earth ground in the box....where the fuck does the electrons go if they don't go to ground? :think: (not sarcasm legit question hopefully still on topic)
They go back to the center tap of the transformer. Having an ECG (earth connected ground) in your subpanel in your outbuilding will help guard against lightning strikes (direct or induced) by having a lower impedance path to earth rather than having to travel back to the main panel. This is why (in the US at least) a separate ECG is required for subpanels in buildings that are separate from the service entrance panel.