Insulating Electrical Connections

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

With a 5500 watt heating element, anybody got good ideas on best way to insulate the electrical connections for safety? Seems like they're just sitting there waiting for the dog or cat to go up and sniff! (Or my mule; not kidding!).

Thanks, Greg
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Insulating Electrical Connections

Post by HDNB »

make a pig nose and spot weld it on. make sure it's big enough around to get a tool in to unscrew the element. wavy elements need a lot of room to come out. then screw a cover on top,
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

If you don't mind spending some money, there are element guards you can buy that can be attached with tri clamps.
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

You can mount an electrical box on it, I got a metal enclosure for grounding the still and housing the element so it is detachable with a tri-clamp:

http://stilldragon.com/index.php/element-guard-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Or build something like this, using a 1 1/4 x 1/1/4" rubber pipe connect..

Mars
Attachments
Picture 3073.jpg
Picture 3076.jpg
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

You can also use pvc fittings, use a fitting that will cover the joints, and then another fitting to give you the thread you will use to connect your cord connector. It will hold itself in place when you connect it to the cord.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Thanks guys. As many things as I've redneck engineered over the years and growing up on our farm, you'd think one of these ideas would have come to me, but I was drawing a blank! By the way, it is nice to live on a farm. We have 4 horses and a couple of mules. Nobody even looks funny when you go in and get corn, barley, oats, etc. My daughter went this morning and picked up 100 lb of oats, 50# of barley, 50 corn, and 50 wheat. Average cost was $9 bag. I guess there are advantages to living in the sticks! Thanks again, Greg.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Stiller Boy

That's what I started out with too....just some rubber hose.