will these work together scr and a 3000w and 4000w

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

will these work together scr and a 3000w and 4000w

Post by markieb »

hi ive already brought these but due to my copper delivery today im wondering if these will work together or not?
SA Hot Stainless Steel Electrical Element Booster for Water Heater DN25 3000W
SA Hot Stainless Steel Electrical Element Booster for Water Heater DN25 4000W
10000W 110V 220V 75A AC SCR Voltage Regulator Speed Controller Dimmer Thermostat

they will be mounted into a 15.5 gallon keg unsure of fitting diameter but already pre jumped the gun and step bit drilled a smallish hole lol if the element wont fit then its all good for a drain port i the side.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: will these work together scr and a 3000w and 4000w

Post by Pikey »

I don't know the USA electrical system very well, but if you mount both of those elements, you will be wise to control them separately. I would suggest you just put a straight "On - off" switch on the little one and use the Triac to control the bigger one. Then on heating up, you can use both and when you get there, you can switch off the 3kw and adjust the controller to set the power of the production.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

+1 to the on/off on one and control the other.

B
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

+2 Although that's a 10kW controller , it won't probably wouldn't last long running 7kW of elements .....they like a lot of redundancy
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

Pikey wrote:I don't know the USA electrical system very well, but if you mount both of those elements, you will be wise to control them separately. I would suggest you just put a straight "On - off" switch on the little one and use the Triac to control the bigger one. Then on heating up, you can use both and when you get there, you can switch off the 3kw and adjust the controller to set the power of the production.
its handy im in the uk then :lol: i moved just after xmas so my project was put on hold again but now ... now ive got the tubing and awaiting the elements the tri clams and ferrules.
i lifted the fuse box flap to check what rating the sparky put on the circuits and seems to be 30amp for everything so could rig up 2 seperate leads and as you suggest run 1 straight from the plug and 1 through the scr
just abit worried because its ebay and were cheap and from china lol
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

markieb wrote:...im in the uk... <--230 V / 50 Hz household power
i lifted the fuse box flap to check what rating the sparky put on the circuits and seems to be 30amp for everything so could rig up 2 seperate leads and as you suggest. run 1 straight from the plug and 1 through the scr. just abit worried because its ebay and were cheap and from china.
Well, a little math tells me that you can't do this...run both elements from your 30 amp circuit.

The 4kW element draws 17.4 amps full load and the 3 kW element draws 13.1 amps full load.

If both are running full load (which resistive elements will if you don't reduce the current throughput), you'll need a 40 amp circuit:
--> 17.4 + 13.1 = 30.5 + 6.0 amps (20% overload margin) = 36.5 amps
--> 40 amp breaker (and wiring).

Make sure you do your math first...before you burn your house down!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

markieb wrote:
..........i lifted the fuse box flap to check what rating the sparky put on the circuits and seems to be 30amp for everything so could rig up 2 seperate leads and as you suggest run 1 straight from the plug and 1 through the scr
Just lifted mine too and have 32 amp cooker, 32 amp each ring main, so as long as you take each input from a different source main, you should be fine.

My controller is chinese too as are most of our TV's :wink:

At the price they charge, you could get one for each circuit.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

still_stirrin wrote:
markieb wrote:...im in the uk... <--230 V / 50 Hz household power
i lifted the fuse box flap to check what rating the sparky put on the circuits and seems to be 30amp for everything so could rig up 2 seperate leads and as you suggest. run 1 straight from the plug and 1 through the scr. just abit worried because its ebay and were cheap and from china.
Well, a little math tells me that you can't do this...run both elements from your 30 amp circuit.

The 4kW element draws 17.4 amps full load and the 3 kW element draws 13.1 amps full load.

If both are running full load (which resistive elements will if you don't reduce the current throughput), you'll need a 40 amp circuit:
--> 17.4 + 13.1 = 30.5 + 6.0 amps (20% overload margin) = 36.5 amps
--> 40 amp breaker (and wiring).

Make sure you do your math first...before you burn your house down!
ss
maths and english arnt my best forte im afraid :lol: i was planning on using seperate circuits so it wouldnt draw off the same ring figured it would be a fair old load on one plug socket.thanks for the heads up tho still stirrin.my plan is to run a radio from the plugs and shut the various circuits to see which controls what and get a decent sized cable too so it can handle the load was thinking maybe a 2.5mm cooker kind of cable as that takes a fair amount if not possibly even higher rated again.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

Pikey wrote:
markieb wrote:
..........i lifted the fuse box flap to check what rating the sparky put on the circuits and seems to be 30amp for everything so could rig up 2 seperate leads and as you suggest run 1 straight from the plug and 1 through the scr
Just lifted mine too and have 32 amp cooker, 32 amp each ring main, so as long as you take each input from a different source main, you should be fine.

My controller is chinese too as are most of our TV's :wink:

At the price they charge, you could get one for each circuit.
lol the chinese are great at electronics but sometimes on ebay they arnt worried about the end user just the cash when the stuff turns up (ferrules,clamps,elements,scr) im hoping it wont break but i will order up a replacement gives me a little cash saving space too this has set me back a little bit the last week or so.i was looking at the ebay stills from poland and thought another couple hundred quid and i could of had it all pre made :crazy: but then altho it would be mine i wouldnt of had any participation and wheres the fun in that lol.
i am thinking of getting the ferrules put on properly tho as theyre steel.
im also thinking of the 4k element would probably be sufficient for the moment and could hold the 3k as a spare back up and possibly install it at a later date as still stirrin said think safety and 7000w is alot of juice to be pumping into the still :)
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Suit yourself :)