is my wiring correct?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guilty
Novice

is my wiring correct?

Post by Guilty »

Hi,
If people are worried about helping each other with the wiring of their equipment how are we to get things built?If you are worried about telling me how to wire my controller don't. Just please tell me if it is right or wrong. Then I can do more searching to see if anyone has the same thing working correctly. So far I have not seen or understood any controllers built the same,Here is my controller diagram .
showing the wiring
showing the wiring
top of box
top of box
IMG_0577.JPG
Thanx
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: is my wiring correct?

Post by Pikey »

Look if you designed that circuit, you probably know more than most on here ! - If you didn't you have to tell us where it came from. Mine came hassle free & cheap from china and I just connected the 220 volt wires to the input and the output :D
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i'm not sure what's messier, the wiring or the diagram...so i can't tell.

but...if it works, then it's good. if it don't then it's not. That's the great thing about electricity. Unfortunately there is a cost to test it out if it's wrong. :roll:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Your schematic looks right to me, albeit messy and hard to follow.

You parallel the voltmeter to the input voltage and use the toroid transformer to measure the conducting current through the SSR by measuring the +V leg (voltage input of SSR). The SSR output runs out to your element and back to the terminal block.

All in all, if that's the way you actually wired the circuit, you should be OK, ie - no blue smoke.
ss

edited for correction: (I had a followup look at your schematic)

Your toroid transformer is on the input voltage leg (+V) going to the terminal block and it actually should be on the SSR output terminal (+V to the element, or even the -V return from the element). With the toroid where it is now, you'll also measure not only the current going to the element, but also the current going to the voltmeter, even though the latter current is very small.

Of note, with those digital volt/amp meters, you want to measure the input voltage as you have. But you should measure the current flowing out to the element alone.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Guilty it will work . It's the same old same old curcuit that nearly everyones been using . :thumbup:
My only pedantic comment would be to have the Current transformer on the element black wire not the supply black wire . It is pnly pedantic but you want to be measuring the element current not the element + the ammeter power curcuit current .... yeah yeah I know its probably immeasurable but I did say I was pedantic once or twice :DEdit : posted same time as SS
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Yummyrum wrote:Guilty it will work . It's the same old same old curcuit that nearly everyones been using . :thumbup:
My only pedantic comment would be to have the Current transformer on the element black wire not the supply black wire . It is pnly pedantic but you want to be measuring the element current not the element + the ammeter power curcuit current .... yeah yeah I know its probably immeasurable but I did say I was pedantic once or twice :DEdit : posted same time as SS
I agree that the current xfmr should be on the load side for more accuracy. I wouldn't be worried about the current consumed by the meter, but by measuring before the SSVR, you will also be measuring the power that is dissipated by the SSVR. That can be significant, otherwise it wouldn't need a heat sink. If you want to measure how much power you are using then it is fine the way it is. If you want to measure power delivered to the heating element, then move it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote: I agree that the current xfmr should be on the load side for more accuracy. I wouldn't be worried about the current consumed by the meter, but by measuring before the SSVR, you will also be measuring the power that is dissipated by the SSVR. That can be significant, otherwise it wouldn't need a heat sink. If you want to measure how much power you are using then it is fine the way it is. If you want to measure power delivered to the heating element, then move it.
Good point about dissipation in the SSR redwood but unfortunately it is in series with the element so placement of the current transformer isn't going to help this issue
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Question for you RWH,

Does the SSR work by "duty cycle" of the voltage wave? Or does it work like a tube (current valve)? If it is duty cycle management, then the power dissipated in the SSR occuring during the "off state" would be minimal, right?

My control circuit uses a Triac to control the output voltage by triggering "off" until the voltage recrosses the "zero point". Energy dissipated internal to the Triac is due to the internal resistance of the silicon junction.

If Rad were here (if only) I know he would chime in on this discussion.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The dissipation in these VR type SSRs occurs when it is switching state . It is this period of only a few microseconds each half cycle that the internal triac is noether fully on or fully off . It dissapates a huge amount of power for a very short amount of time .

Think of maximum cpu clocking speeds . Again it is the swithching transitipn which generates the heat
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Yummyrum wrote:
RedwoodHillBilly wrote: I agree that the current xfmr should be on the load side for more accuracy. I wouldn't be worried about the current consumed by the meter, but by measuring before the SSVR, you will also be measuring the power that is dissipated by the SSVR. That can be significant, otherwise it wouldn't need a heat sink. If you want to measure how much power you are using then it is fine the way it is. If you want to measure power delivered to the heating element, then move it.
Good point about dissipation in the SSR redwood but unfortunately it is in series with the element so placement of the current transformer isn't going to help this issue
Ooops... Brain fart. Of course current will be the same, there will just be a voltage drop across the triac depending on junction resistance kinda like Rds in FET. Ignore my earlier post.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

still_stirrin wrote:Question for you RWH,

Does the SSR work by "duty cycle" of the voltage wave? Or does it work like a tube (current valve)? If it is duty cycle management, then the power dissipated in the SSR occuring during the "off state" would be minimal, right?

My control circuit uses a Triac to control the output voltage by triggering "off" until the voltage recrosses the "zero point". Energy dissipated internal to the Triac is due to the internal resistance of the silicon junction.

If Rad were here (if only) I know he would chime in on this discussion.
ss
i recall Rad learning the hard way to do the current xformer on the supply side of the ssr, i think it was because the square wave output from the ssr lets the smoke out the ammeter if you place it on the output side. but maybe that was just a specific cheap ammeter. or maybe my memory sux.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

It's not the current sensing transformer but the voltage measuring connection ( which is also the power supply to the meter) that was the issue . The voltage measuring curcuit seems happy when connected before the SSR but all it can show is the supply voltage .. not really all that helpful ... but it keeps the smoke in .
The OP has this correct :thumbup:

The current sense transformer can be connected anywhere in the element curcuit to measure the current .
Guilty
Novice

Post by Guilty »

Thank you all for replies .
I moved the Current transformer to the output side on the black wire.Going out to garage to plug it in and hope it does what I want it to.

Thanx

It worked! No sparks no smoke no problems. Thanx again