My Multimeter reading wrong Amp

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

My Multimeter reading wrong Amp

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Just purchased this drok led 4 in 1 multimeter, I am using it with Auber DSPR 1 Voltage Regulator, and quite happy with it, the only drawback is it shows the wrong Amp or Watt, the watt looks ok because this regulator is linear I tried it with a small kettle first to see in how many minutes it will boil the water for example it boiled 1 lt of water in 4 minutes at 100% power and when I did boil the same amount of 1 lt water at 50% it did it in 8 minutes so I can say that it is linear, and the watt is also cut by half but please look at the pic the amp is showing 5.08

Volt: 223.8
kW: 780

So Watt / Volt : Amp

780 / 223.80 = 3.48 amp but it displays 5.08 I do not know why it does that I use the DSPR 1 in burst firing mode anyone faced a similar problem ?
how can I correct it ?
Attachments
rsz_pct50.jpg
artooks
Trainee

Re: My Multimeter reading wrong Amp

Post by artooks »

And at 100% power everything is correct please see.
Attachments
rsz_pct100.jpg
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

The error reading the power is because of burst firing mode. The meter has an averaging time that is less than the burst period. I'll bet if you watch the meter, you'll see the power output varying over time. Bottom line, don't worry about it. The power output would be correct of you were using a simple phase angle controller (think light dimmer). The burst mode is more efficient and will create less noise on the AC line, therefore it is a better control algorithm, but your meter isn't designed to read it correctly.

If it were me, I'd just remember where you set the controller for the product output that you want as an initial setting, and then adjust the power level of the still by look and feel.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thanks, I know where I set it last time dropped it to 16% and finished with 28% my element is 4500watt that part is ok but just wanted to see if I could do something about it there are true rms multimeters but I guess they would behave the same
Thanks Redwoodhillybilly
RedwoodHillBilly

Yup, a true rms meter would have the same problem.

You're welcome :)
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

and this is why we have this site. the amount of knowledge here really is top notch
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
RedwoodHillBilly

Aw shucks, twarn't nuttin.