Heating element - controller dilemmas

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Heating element - controller dilemmas

Post by jon1163 »

Right now I run an 8 gallon Dual Purpose still from Mile Hi Distilling. I Run 1 110 volt heating element with a controller as shown below.

https://milehidistilling.com/product-ca ... s-burners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Well this controller works great for my 8 gallon keg, my heat up time is about 40 minutes, it will probably be a bit underpowered once I get my new 15 gallon keg still built. You can view my build under keg still build under the
Hardware relating to distilling forum.

My plan is to use to 110 volt heating elements has I don't really have access to 220 volt Outlets.

I have a two-part question:

1. Will to 110 volt heating elements be sufficient to heat a 15 gallon keg still?

2. Does anyone know how to build or where to buy a 2 Outlet 110 volt controller? I've looked all over this for him and every other form I could find but everybody offers just one Outlet controllers unless you move up to 220 volts. My electrical skills are nil.
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Heating element - controller dilemmas

Post by PipeWelder316 »

I wouldn't recommend trying to use 2 different 110 outlets, I would hire an electrician to dedicate a receptacle to 240v Do all the required reading or order a pre-built controller online. Electricity can and will kill you if you do not know what you are doing.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

jon1163

I will try to answer,
1) I do not think 110 V is going to work well with 15 gal boiler
2) A 2 outlet controller from 1 power source is not going to gain anything as you will still only have 15-20 amps total

AC
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

I don't have direct experience, but I've read of a number of people who use two 110v heating elements. That controller says it requires a 110v 20A circuit, so it will handle up to 2 kilowatts (actually, 2200 watts -or maybe 2400w if you calculate at 120v instead of 110v).

One thing many people do is only have a controller on one heating element, and have the other one either plug directly into the wall, or have a simple on/off switch. You use both at full power for heating up to boiling, then if you need 2-4 kw for your run, just throttle back the controlled burner, and if you need less than 2 kw, just turn off/unplug the uncontrolled burner and use the controlled burner.

One thing to be aware of is that most household circuits in the USA are either 15 or 20 amps. If you're running two burners at 2kw each, you'll need to make sure you have two outlets that are on two different 20A circuit breakers. If they're on the same breaker, you'll trip the breaker by plugging both into it. If you only have 15A circuits for your outlets, you'll need to limit yourself to 1500-1800 watt burners.

Ever notice that hair dryers almost never come more powerful than 1800 watts? Thats because 120v * 15A = 1800w. Manufacturers don't want to require over 15A because most consumers don't know the difference between 15A and 20A circuits, and plugging a 20A dryer into a 15A circuit will result in the dryer getting returned because it blows the circuit breaker. They use 120v instead of 110v, because 1800w sounds more powerful than the 1650w you'd get if you calculated with 110v. Marketing.
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

acfixer69 wrote:jon1163

I will try to answer,
2) A 2 outlet controller from 1 power source is not going to gain anything as you will still only have 15-20 amps total

AC
My 240v controller runs a 5500W element at 20 amps. I can't explain how all of this works but we have plenty of guys here that can.
I still recommend hiring a qualified electrician to help you out. Not to mention you can burn your house down if you do not do this stuff right.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

jon1163 wrote:Right now I run an 8 gallon Dual Purpose still from Mile Hi Distilling. I Run 1 110 volt heating element with a controller as shown below.

https://milehidistilling.com/product-ca ... s-burners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Well this controller works great for my 8 gallon keg, my heat up time is about 40 minutes, it will probably be a bit underpowered once I get my new 15 gallon keg still built. You can view my build under keg still build under the
Hardware relating to distilling forum.

My plan is to use to 110 volt heating elements has I don't really have access to 220 volt Outlets.

I have a two-part question:

1. Will to 110 volt heating elements be sufficient to heat a 15 gallon keg still?

2. Does anyone know how to build or where to buy a 2 Outlet 110 volt controller? I've looked all over this for him and every other form I could find but everybody offers just one Outlet controllers unless you move up to 220 volts. My electrical skills are nil.
Before I ran 240v into my basement, I ran 2 240v 5.5Kw elements on 2 separate 120v 20A circuits. One was controlled and 1 just plugged in. I worked OK on my 15 gal pot, but I finally got the 240v circuit wired up. It's nicer now, but the 2 elements will work in a pinch. You'll get about 2750w from the 2 of them. As to the controller, get a 240v 10Kw controller. It will work fine for one element on 120v and will work fine for the same element on 240v. Buy once, cry once.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

PipeWelder316 wrote:

I will try to answer,

AC
My 240v controller runs a 5500W element at 20 amps. I can't explain how all of this works but we have plenty of guys here that can.
I still recommend hiring a qualified electrician to help you out. Not to mention you can burn your house down if you do not do this stuff right.

you are not giving the reverent info

first is are you plugging into a 110v volt outlet? as in the question op asked
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

acfixer69 wrote:
PipeWelder316 wrote:

I will try to answer,

AC

"My 240v controller" seems like I stated that Im running 240v to me.
I'm giving good sound advice sir...
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

PipeWelder316 wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:
PipeWelder316 wrote:

I will try to answer,

AC

"My 240v controller" seems like I stated that Im running 240v to me.
I'm giving good sound advice sir...
Didn't say you weren't, but the info was not there. Putting a 240v element in 110v circuit is done often and the OP is talking about a 110v circuit so you are going off topic.

AC
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

BugHunter wrote:
..........One thing many people do is only have a controller on one heating element, and have the other one either plug directly into the wall, or have a simple on/off switch. You use both at full power for heating up to boiling, then if you need 2-4 kw for your run, just throttle back the controlled burner, and if you need less than 2 kw, just turn off/unplug the uncontrolled burner and use the controlled burner.

One thing to be aware of is that most household circuits in the USA are either 15 or 20 amps. If you're running two burners at 2kw each, you'll need to make sure you have two outlets that are on two different 20A circuit breakers. If they're on the same breaker, you'll trip the breaker by plugging both into it. If you only have 15A circuits for your outlets, you'll need to limit yourself to 1500-1800 watt burners.............

This will work fine.

BugHunter wrote: Ever notice that hair dryers almost never come more powerful than 1800 watts? Thats because 120v * 15A = 1800w. ................
I have a 2 kw "Hardrier" (UK - We run 240V ) - Well actually it's a hot air gun and can be used to strip paint off woodwork or metal very effectively ! - So there's another reason they don't do 2kw "Hairdriers" :ewink:
Johnnywhiskey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Johnnywhiskey »

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, get a GFIC in the circuit somewhere--if you don't already.

For 120v controllers, would one (or two) of these work?

Fan Speed Controller Motor Rheostat Motor Speed Controller for Duct and Inline Fans
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO ... UTF8&psc=1

Says it will do up to 15A.

I run a 10KW controller on my 240V system and it was advertised as a "speed controller" (among other things).

But even with 2 120v elements, you are still looking at only about 1/2 the power of one 240v 5500w element. My electrician told me that I could safely run a 50 ft. extension (properly rated--10 gauge) on my 240v circuit to get the power where I needed it--out of the garage and into the backyard. He said it was only a problem when it get up around 100ft. Old-school Italian guy, he made grappa too!

Best, JW
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I run my 15 and 20 gallon boilers off of a 2k 110 element and it works fine if I had access to more power I would use it, faster heat up times would be nice.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.