Banjo Burner

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

toofless one
Swill Maker
Location: Where I can whizz in the front yard...and nobody would ever know

Banjo Burner

Post by toofless one »

Did a search on here for banjo burners. a few people said they have em and love em. just ordered one today for 77.99US delivered. seemed like a good price. any thoughts on this apparatus? propane usage? seems like it puts out a gob of heat, so im wonderin about the amount of propane usage and overall satifsaction...
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
rubber duck
retired

Re: Banjo Burner

Post by rubber duck »

There great I have 2 for beer brewing. They use a hell of a lot of gas if you run them full bore.

That's a really good price. Would you mind posting or pming me the link. I need to get one more and that's the best price I have ever heard of.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Here ya go:
http://www.hotplates.com/Bayou-Classic- ... Y1014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I hope its the right one...I saw other prices online that were much much more (some almost double). Post hasnt gotten many views...maybe people think I hate banjos :?
"Learnin to still is alot like eating a dinosaur...ya gotta do it a bite at a time"
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

on them small burners you can get one from a gas hot water heater. if it natural gas just modyfy it.
aint nothin to makein you a piper burner. get a hack saw an cut slots. would make it quick release
to regulater an put cut off easy to get to.

so im tole
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Is there any modification that needs to be done to the banjo to make it support the 15.5gal keg? or is it just good to go?
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

The 17 inch burner stand is a little small for a 15 gallon keg. It will work but you might want to look into building a bigger stand just to be safe.

The ideal thing to do would be to build a brick wind screen around the burner about 2 foot high or so. It would screen wind, help insulate, and give some stability to your still.

It would be a little work but it's just a thought.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Someone here(??) posted a nice burner base made out of an old car tire rim. It would handle anything imaginable that one might put on top of it, and close to the ground/floor too. -hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
myerfire
Swill Maker

Post by myerfire »

Just a thought here. If you use a car rim which would put a lot of heat on the floor, be carefull if it is a concrete floor. Concrete, when it gets concentrated heat can spall, like a mini explosion. I think the moisture in the concrete wants to expand and has no where to go. Be cautious.
myerfire
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

I think, if anything, Ill reinforce the existing burner and place it on some cement stepping stones to give extra clearance beneath it. Due to proximity of landlord, im forced to use this apparatus in my sun porch with a wooden floor. extreme care shall be taken
Nightforce
Swill Maker

Post by Nightforce »

17" to small for a keg? I've got a 1/4 keg, which I believe is only height difference from 1/2 keg to 1/4 keg, and my 12" square homebuilt burner is quite nicely fitted to the 1/4 keg. I'd think that 17" would be plenty for a 1/2 keg?
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

toofless wrote:I think, if anything, Ill reinforce the existing burner and place it on some cement stepping stones to give extra clearance beneath it. Due to proximity of landlord, im forced to use this apparatus in my sun porch with a wooden floor. extreme care shall be taken
You could also consider putting a cookie sheet (or something similar) under the burner and set the cookie sheet on something (anything - electric fence insulators would be elegant) to hold it off the floor an inch or so. The cookie sheet will reflect the heat up and the air gap between the sheet and the floor should be enough. We hope.

Braz
Braz
toofless one
Swill Maker

Post by toofless one »

Excellent idea with the cookie sheet! :idea: Thats cheap and ridiculously simple!
chaos
Novice

Post by chaos »

toofless wrote:I think, if anything, Ill reinforce the existing burner and place it on some cement stepping stones to give extra clearance beneath it. Due to proximity of landlord, im forced to use this apparatus in my sun porch with a wooden floor. extreme care shall be taken
personally i would weld a few legs onto the side of the rim cut a little whole on the side for the burner's end to poke through raise bout 4 inch and that should do the trick
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

toofless wrote:Did a search on here for banjo burners. a few people said they have em and love em. just ordered one today for 77.99US delivered. seemed like a good price. any thoughts on this apparatus? propane usage? seems like it puts out a gob of heat, so im wonderin about the amount of propane usage and overall satifsaction...

I bought a Blickman Engineering burner and love it! Stainless Steel construction and It puts out a lot of heat and is easy on the propane. I also got the leg extensions for it too. It's a bit pricey though $140.00 for the burner and $40.00 for the extensions. Worth every penny :D
floor_standing_burner__63331_zoom.jpg
Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow