Planning on moving to gas

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Planning on moving to gas

Post by Beerbrewer »

I've put my still (20ltr copper alembic) through it's paces with my vinegar and sacrificial run using a hotplate (bought some years ago) and while it was satisfactory for my purposes I have been reading around here and decided to move to propane. I've got my eye on this burner:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... WQHVZ743H1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

And just wanted to put it out there as to what people think and whether it would be adequate for my current still and possibly a larger one if I ever decide to upgrade?
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Re: Planning on moving to gas

Post by bellybuster »

my only worry would be getting the flame low enough for a slow run. That's allot of burner for 20 litres
rumbuff
Swill Maker

Post by rumbuff »

I'd say you're better putting an element inside your pot. 20 liters isn't that much, but if you want you could put 2 elements in. I got 2 cheap kettles from Wal-mart and put them in my pot, and with 2 seperate outlets I get 3 Kw of power. It's pretty quick, and I do 35liter batches.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

I use that exact same one, and it will be fine for 20l.
The only problem is the smell from the paint on the (pretty flimsy) stand. I would get some paint stripper and remove it, it doesn't smell nice.
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Thanks for all the replies, I was looking at gas because I really cannot bring myself to put an element in the pot since it's just too beautiful to cut a hole in it!
cornsqueezer
Swill Maker

Post by cornsqueezer »

I would put something between the burner and your boiler like aluminium to support/protect :thumbup:
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

I use gas because the heat control is cheap and efficient. Chefs prefer gas for the same reasons...instant response and perfect visual control.

A low pressure gas burner is better than a high pressure burner. I have both and the low pressure (via a regulator) can go higher and lower in the heat output.

Yes a naked flame is a concern. Your still must be leak-proof, and the take-off (alc spout) must be at least 1m away from the boiler. Same as a wood fire.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

cornsqueezer wrote:I would put something between the burner and your boiler like aluminium to support/protect :thumbup:
Something like a oven tray cornsqueezer?
carnica
Novice

Post by carnica »

You might want to have a look at this before you decide:

http://www.sonarema-fondex.com/rechaud-8004.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I use it for my 20 litre alembic and it just works fine. For a slow run, I just use the middle ring.

I use it indoors, so I have fitted it with a 50 m/bar reduction valve.
"Good living is an act of intelligence, by which we choose things which have an agreeable taste rather than those which do not."
-Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin,
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

cornsqueezer wrote:I would put something between the burner and your boiler like aluminium to support/protect :thumbup:
This sounds like a poor idea to me.
Your pot won't boil. The aluminium will melt.
cornsqueezer
Swill Maker

Post by cornsqueezer »

Dan P. wrote:
This sounds like a poor idea to me.
Your pot won't boil. The aluminium will melt.
Not so the 15 gal SS Premium Kettle I bought from brewhaus came with @ 1/4" thick aluminium disk to put under the Kettle to protect It.

Aluminium is a great conductor of heat and it diffuses it well also.

I've used it several times with a turkey fryer and haven't had any problems yet.

Beerbrewer all you need is something to support your boiler, you could try the pan but it may need to be thicker than that IMO