Steam kettle

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

squeezins
Swill Maker

Steam kettle

Post by squeezins »

Has anyone here used a steam kettle for a boiler and if so how well did work. They can be found pretty cheap from 20gal to 60gal . I found a 40gal electric/steam soup kettle for $300 but thought I'd ask before I bought one.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: Steam kettle

Post by pounsfos »

Post a picture and show us, we will give you our opinion
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

This is an electric one
Attachments
image.jpg
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

Anyone??
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I like it. Id try it. I bet it hold temps good. Mashing and cooking I see it. How many amps is it? Is it single phase I hope?????
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

They have them in 3 phase and single phase . Some are even gas fired . Some of the better ones will hold temps within 3 degrees but they cost a little more
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

More than likely you don't have 3 phase and Id do the electricity in single phase. That make an all grain mash real fine. Can get a ferel on it? How much$? I bet it's expensive.
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

Actually I do have 3 phase here which gives me another option. I could have picked up a 40 gallon one a couple of weeks ago for $300. They are pretty expensive usually but I see them from time to time cheap. I even considered using one as a boiler but not sure how long it takes to get to a boil.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

40 gal is a little out of hobby grade but $300 wow. Hook u up an agitator and put it in your ferrel make perfect hooch. I assume its food grade????
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

halfbaked wrote:40 gal is a little out of hobby grade but $300 wow. Hook u up an agitator and put it in your ferrel make perfect hooch. I assume its food grade????
I tend to keep my wash at a lower abv than a lot of ppl so even 40 gal wouldn't wouldn't be a stretch. I'm sure there are some here using a keg and turbos getting more and yes it is stainless and is actually a soup kettle
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Tell me there is no rubber in this thing. If there is can you use cardboard and PTFE on it? If I had it I would mash in it and ferment in it and boil in it. All you would need is something to rack into.
rickw
Novice

Post by rickw »

Hello All
This thread seems to be replated to what I'm trying. The other day I bought 2 30 gal jacketed stainless steel, steam kettles ($100 for both) to try mashing in. Thought I might use one and try the following experiment. I don't have steam available right now so I'm trying hot water.

I'm trying to answer the question " Can I effectively heat the mash tun (30 gal. steam kettle) to the right temps using water circulated from and HLT, heated with electricity."

The equipment I'm using is a 15 gallon boiler with a 4500W 220v element. The circulator pump is variable speed. Boiler and lines to kettle are super insulated, so I'm not going to figure heat loss here. The kettle has a lid and will be insulated to some degree. Room temp is 65F. My electricity cost $.077/ kilowatt/hr

Step 1. Heat HLT to 200F and start circulating at different GPM until I can not maintain 200F. I believe this GPM will vary as the mash temp starts to rise and the HLT water is returning at a higher temp. I'll try to control the GPM using an Arduino to maintain a constant 200F to the kettle.
Step 2. I'll put 25 gallons of room temp water (60F) into the kettle. I'm going to use 160F as my target temp for this experiment. I'll plot over time the temp rise in the kettle. I'll also plot the HLT temp and the GPM. I'm assuming at some point I'll have to control the HLT temp when the kettle gets to 160F.

Am I missing any factors that can skew my experiment? I like the info on this forum and hope to get some good input.
Thanks
Mike
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

this is where PID's excel, a measurement at the return to HLT and you have an auto temp controlled fermenter. This is exactly how my external HERMS works
rickw
Novice

Post by rickw »

squeezins wrote:This is an electric one

Did you ever get the kettle up and going?