Converting From Propane To Natural Gas

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

2pups
Novice

Converting From Propane To Natural Gas

Post by 2pups »

I just got a new Bayou banjo cooker burner model KAB4 and want to know if it can be safely converted to natural gas . If it can , does someone know the proper steps in doing so . I will have a licensed plumber do the work on the pipe and valves where I need them placed where the cooker will be . I just need to know about the unit itself , what I need to get or what needs to be done . Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks .

Jeff
Michaeln416
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Converting From Propane To Natural Gas

Post by Michaeln416 »

You will need to do two things to convert from propane (LP) to natural gas (NG):

First you have to get a new brass orifice with a larger opening (1/8" diameter) for low pressure NG. See the picture below. I recently switched the other way; from NG to LP and happen to have a spare of what you are looking for. If you can't find one locally then PM me and we can work something out.

The second thing you'll have to do is to get rid of the LP regulator since you cannot use that with NG. Instead get a needle valve to control the flow of gas to the burner as well as a safety shut off valve which your gas fitter should install for you.

Having fun and great success sprouting/roasting/smoking my own malted barley
I brew in 50L batches using local natural spring water and fresh baker's yeast
8 Gallon SS Reflux Still for neutral & 20 Gallon Copper Pot Still for everything else
2pups
Novice

Post by 2pups »

Thanks Michaeln , just the info I was looking for , I should be able to get everything I need here , thanks for the offer if I cant .

Jeff
Stainless dude
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stainless dude »

You can give this link a try, I used this brewers hardward orifice valve for natural gas.. http://www.brewershardware.com/Burners-and-Accessories/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

A little late but, I have 4 of those burners. To convert them to natural gas, I just drilled the orifice to 1/8'' .
Start small and check as you go. 1/8 was the sweet spot for me.