Measuring and determining propane heat input (with PICS)

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DRbyrd
Novice

Measuring and determining propane heat input (with PICS)

Post by DRbyrd »

The context of this is running propane with a CM/HM reflux rig.

It was a guessing game with me, knowing exactly what my heat input was. Some will say, "just watch the drip" but in an effort to save propane I like to only apply what heat is needed, have repeatable and predictable results and not waist gas by poring on the heat to just knock it down with increased water flow to the reflux coil.

I use to mark my pressure reg but as the tank pressure decreased that was not accurate.
14.jpg
I had Idea or theory .... in most cases the temp of the burner is in direct proportion to the flame/BTU output of the fire? So, monitoring the the burner temp will indicate my heat input to the boiler.

The only inexpensive digital thermometer's that I have found that produce accurate, repeatable performance are the Chinese yellow two channel K-type thermometers designed primarily for HVAC servicing. You can have them at your door via Ebay or Amazon for less than $20 US. Just search "K-type digital thermometer"
15.jpg
The thermometer's come with two inexpensive probes with 36" of fiberglass insulation. If you want to measure anything else, wort,mash, column air boiler temp , spend another $5-7 and get the K-type stales steel probe.

Here's the cheap one
11.jpg
I put a little foil around the heat shrink tubing at the end of the probe and used JB weld to attach the probe to the base of the burner with the tip of the probe in contact with the burner. According to JB, the material does not produce toxic fumes when heated and it good to around 500 deg.
12.jpg
13.jpg
I have found this to work great ! I now know my best heat setting for running as efficient as possible and for repeatable and predictable runs for like washes and volume. BTW is about 400deg for a 5 gal 8% ABV charged 15 gal SST keg boiler.
16.jpg
I've found one exception. While in preheat mode when you have your burner in jet mode your burner will give you a false reading. With the point of the flame high several inches above the burner and the flame sucking in oxygen to feed the fire, you burners temp will actualy drop, giving you a false reading. That does not seem to be a problem since the preheat temp is not important and most don't run it that hard in fear of scorching the wash.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Measuring and determining propane heat input (with PICS)

Post by DAD300 »

Good post and good idea. It definitely gives a repeatable indication.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Good idea.

Only down side I see. If used in a windy area. Or a colder then normal area. It wouldn't be very accurate. And you would need differing amounts of heat to get it right. In those situations. If it was in a climate controlled area. Then I would think it would be very reliable. Compared to guessing.

I've never seen anyone refer to it as HM. I'm assuming Heat Management? Most refer to it as PM. Power management.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

I have that same reader, works great. But I use these thermocouples for temperature readings. I soldered a stainless M4 nut onto a piece of capped 1/2" copper that I inserted right below the T in my VM still. you can screw the thermocouple into the nut, no leaks.

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Temperatu ... 0mm+k-type" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I'm always surprised more people haven't adopted this technology. It's super cheap
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Same sensor used in aircraft for exhaust gas temp...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
DRbyrd
Novice

Post by DRbyrd »

Prairiepiss wrote:Good idea.

Only down side I see. If used in a windy area. Or a colder then normal area. It wouldn't be very accurate. And you would need differing amounts of heat to get it right. In those situations. If it was in a climate controlled area. Then I would think it would be very reliable. Compared to guessing.

I've never seen anyone refer to it as HM. I'm assuming Heat Management? Most refer to it as PM. Power management.
Yes PP, thx, PM/ Power management
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Great idea gents!! So how many runs have you gained off a tank how much are you saving in gas?
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"