what burner did i get?

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillLearning1
Trainee

what burner did i get?

Post by StillLearning1 »

So I've received my burner but I'm not sure what model I received?

I ordered a bayou classic sp 10 from amazon. My burner came in a regular brown box with no company logos on it. The manual that came with it is for an sp10, but here's where I'm confused. It has the body of the sq14? I've never seen an sp10 with a square body? The only difference I see between mine and a sq14 is that mine has a wind shield.

Is there any way to look at it and tell what it is?I cant find a model number anywhere on it. The only markings are on the actual burner and it says HOT BG10.

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. I actually like the square base,i just wana know if I got what I ordered.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: what burner did i get?

Post by still_stirrin »

Here, can you answer you own question?

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/single_propane_burner.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

No, that's why I ask. My burner is square but with a wind shield. I've never even seen a picture of one like that. Maybe I'll just call customer service.
Scribbler
Rumrunner

what burner did i get?

Post by Scribbler »

Can you post a photo? (Sorry, even WITH a photo I can't help you!! -I'm just curious...)
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Scribbler wrote:Can you post a photo? (Sorry, even WITH a photo I can't help you!! -I'm just curious...)
Sorry I can't get pics to post. I'm almost worried that its a knock off or something. I can't find one like it anywhere!
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Are the ones you can buy online really that much better than the ones you can pick up for thirty bucks at a hardware store?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

StillLearning1 wrote:No, that's why I ask. My burner is square but with a wind shield. I've never even seen a picture of one like that. Maybe I'll just call customer service.
OK, so a 10-second google search netted this for your part number: http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/bg10_c ... burner.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It looks like its used in this model (amoung others): http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sq84-b ... burner.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Now, does that look like your burner?

You're welcome for all the legwork!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
hawgwrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hawgwrench »

Those are kinda lower side of things. It'll work on a small (say 5 gal or under) pot ok. If ya use a bigger boiler you need a calendar to time the pre-heat, and a shitload of propane. I had something similar years ago and was such a PITA that I founf myself really dreadin cookin day :tired: . Bought a KAB6 and that did the trick, bigger burner but ALOT faster...doesn't use any more gas in the end either.
Patience....the early bird get's the worm, but the second rat get's the cheese.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Well.......this sure is an embarrassing thread that I made :oops:

Let me take this time to thank you all for putting up with my stupid questions this last year and helping me get where I am. I didn't realize when I started all of this that I would Learn so many skills outside of actually stilling! I've learned so much through this and one of those things is how to research better. A life skill that I will always value.

Now to reply to the post that bumped this thread...

I can have a 15.5 gal keg starting to drip in about 30min if I wanted but I usually try to let it warm up slow so about 45min to an hr.

One 20lb tank will usually last me around 3runs. (Slow single runs).

The burner is actually hard to make the flame go small enough sometimes when its hot out. And the base around the burner is PERFECT for a keg.

I would very highly recommend this burner to anyone for our purpose.