Best way to heat a 25 gallon copper pot still

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CarolinaShiner
Novice

Best way to heat a 25 gallon copper pot still

Post by CarolinaShiner »

I'm in the process of putting together a classic copper pot still that is a cross between an upscaled version of Pints 12 gallon and a 25 gallon copper pot that Corene had built. Capacity is 25 gallon(probably run around 18 gallons at a time), it will have a 12 gallon thumper and use a 5/8 OD worm condenser. The bottom of my pot has a 20 inch diameter and is made from 48 oz copper. I'm looking to heat this bad boy with propane so I've been looking at some of the bayou classic burners. I've been trying to decide between the KAB4 and the SP40. Here is where I need some advice. Both burners put out over 200000 BTUs, however the KAB4 only has a 17 inch cooking surface which I was afraid could possibly be unsafe/unsteady for a pot with a 20 inch bottom diameter. The SP40 offer a 22 inch cooking surface but it has a double jet burner which looks to me like it could potentially unevenly heat my pot since the jets would only be concentrated in 2 small areas. Both burners are within $3 of being the same price on Amazon. Which would be my best option or could anyone recommend another burner that would heat a boiler this size efficiently that is in the same price range ($80-$100)
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: Best way to heat a 25 gallon copper pot still

Post by DAD300 »

Easy fix is don't set the boiler on the stand the burner comes with...

Stacked blocks or another metal stand, burner inside and under the pot.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Just weld you some "ears" on the outer ring of the burner. Make a cardboard template and get someone to cut them and weld them on if its over your pay grade. I posted up some photos of the ones my son made for me on here once and they work like a charm. I recommend 6 for the outer ring. Very stable.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd build a separate stand with plenty of support for the bottom of the copper pot. The stand needs to be tall enough for draining the pot.
Having the ability to pull the burner out for lighting or maintenance would be a good idea.
And a heat shroud would be also.
Edited: Your building a 25 gallon copper pot, build the rest of it properly also. :thumbup:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Not often mentioned here any more is the wheel rim burner . I made one and placed it on top of my BC 70k btu burner . 15.5 keg fits in it nicely . Ears welded to the rim support a 1/8" wrap around heat shield that reaches to liquid level in the boiler . Also have a 15.5 keg thumper . On a strip run with 12 gal charges in both boiler and thumper it takes 1hr 40 min from fire lit to likker running . 200k btu sounds like an awful lot to me .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
CarolinaShiner
Novice

Post by CarolinaShiner »

I'm thinking possibly a fire grate set up on blocks with the burner underneath. I'm kinda new to all this but I planned on doing single runs with around 18 gallons in the boiler and maybe 6 or so in the thumper. Does anybody else have any input on those double jet burners or if over 200000 btus on those models is too much to do a slow controlled single run? I've always heard if you run it too damn hot your likker will come out hotter than hell lol. I think ole Popcorn himself said something like that. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before the ole lady takes my credit card and starts Christmas shopping so I need to get a burner ASAP.
Jolly_Roger
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jolly_Roger »

Have a look around for less expensive options than the Bayou. At 200k btu you'll be at high pressure and the thing will sound like a turbine (they look like one as well).
I'm running a 12 gal pot on a 70k btu propane burner and it's hard to get it low enough for spirit runs. I chose this burner based on it's output, it's stand construction and price. There is a lot of "talk" about stainless, but this burner has been used in my brewery (weekly) for 4 years.

https://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/64207681.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
All grain goodness without the nasty fibre
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Have you thought about electric? Is quiet, cheaper than propane, more control, better repeatability, faster heat up times, much more efficient, can be done indoors, don't have to worry about open flames, and you don't have to worry about running out of gas in the middle of a run. There is a ton more positive things about it but I seem to be rambling on. I understand if going electric is out of the picture for you, its just a ton safer, better and cheaper for most.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

+1 on the smaller burner
Just a thought since your using blocks and a grate. You could use enough blocks to make a proper furnace surrounding the lower part of the pot.
The extra efficiency would let you use the smaller burner. The blocks don't need to be cemented, so you can store or reuse them.
The smaller burner would also be easier to control.
Posting and agreeing with pfshine but the OP has his heart set on a 25G fired copper pot.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Nah move to a pacific island that has a volcano and set it up on the lava... free heat :roll:

I use a controller and electric... far as i am concerned its the only way to go...

happy stillin,

FS
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

+1 on going electric. 2 elements would heat that up no problem.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

shadylane wrote:+1 on the smaller burner
Just a thought since your using blocks and a grate. You could use enough blocks to make a proper furnace surrounding the lower part of the pot.
The extra efficiency would let you use the smaller burner. The blocks don't need to be cemented, so you can store or reuse them.
The smaller burner would also be easier to control.
Posting and agreeing with pfshine but the OP has his heart set on a 25G fired copper pot.
I put an element in my copper pot no problem. First I had it just screw in then made a ferrule and an adapter to just triclamp it in. I might have misconstrued what you were saying in totality
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I'd solder a couple 2" stainless tri clamp ferrules on there for heating element ports.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Older rims are made in two pieces, cut the rivets with a cold chisel and you got a steel ring. To do this you just need to find a RIM that fits your boiler, mine is a (I think) a 1948 GM 17" under an 18 gal two piece beer keg with the outa skin removed and set up on bricks. Won't be on the cover of home beautiful but it works
Attachments
IMG_20151112_114426_366.jpg
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Jolly_Roger
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jolly_Roger »

+1 on electric if you have an available circuit
PITA getting it together but so much easier improving efficientcies (even tho I can't spell it)

Side note; propane can be used in a shed with the addition of a simple bathroom fan forcing outside air into the burner
All grain goodness without the nasty fibre
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

bearriver wrote:I'd solder a couple 2" stainless tri clamp ferrules on there for heating element ports.
Add a 2" nipple & ball valve to drain while your at it. All grain in a nice size pot needs a good size drain.
CarolinaShiner
Novice

Post by CarolinaShiner »

I actually haven't put much thought into running an electric setup because I don't really have a 220 outlet available or really anywhere indoors to run. I'd just like a nice propane burner with good heat control so I could get a wash going quick and then back it off and run it slow and steady. I've read reviews on quite a few burners online now and a lot of them seem to have problems with defective regulators where the burners go out when you try to turn the gas back. Shadylane that sounds like just what I had in mind my friend. I'd like a little block furnace with my burner in the middle. Someone out there has to be heating a similar still with propane. Give me some advice on a quality burner.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

CarolinaShiner wrote:I actually haven't put much thought into running an electric setup because I don't really have a 220 outlet available or really anywhere indoors to run. I'd just like a nice propane burner with good heat control so I could get a wash going quick and then back it off and run it slow and steady. I've read reviews on quite a few burners online now and a lot of them seem to have problems with defective regulators where the burners go out when you try to turn the gas back. Shadylane that sounds like just what I had in mind my friend. I'd like a little block furnace with my burner in the middle. Someone out there has to be heating a similar still with propane. Give me some advice on a quality burner.
Fmh posted a pic of one he bought a bit back that looked awesome. I think it was edelmetall bru burner the manufacturer...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
mtnshiner85
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by mtnshiner85 »

I been useing a Bayou Classic KAB 6 it works good for heating my stills and big stock pots for mashing I wrapped a piece of sheet metal around the legs of the burner to direct heat upwards more. I can get two runs off a grill tank on my 20 gallon copper pot
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

My old setup would work well for you. Simple 60 000btu burner. Fits keg perfect. Take a clean 55 gallon metal barrel. Cut top to allow pot to rest inside. Allow half inch for vent around pot cut air gate in bottom to allow for air intake.

Metal drum insulates and creates a small furnace. Cut my heat up times by a third. Also used less propane. You can even insulate the barrel on the outside in order to increase efficiency.

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

2 x 5500w elements.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I'm "all-electric." On my largest (25 gallon) boiler I use only one 5,500 kW electric element w/controller. It has more than enough heat output to heat my charge, usually around 22 gallons, and I never need to run it at "full throttle". Probably 60~70% of controller's rated capacity is more than I need to heat it up, and I usually wind up turning it down to just over 50% when it comes up to temp. YMMV
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
craftsman
Novice

Post by craftsman »

Carolina, I have been using propane to heat a 25-gal stainless boiler on a 17-inch propane burner ( similar to KAb4). I only use it with my pot still since accuracy with heat is a learned practice, and I don't find heating a pot still critical.. I find it completely safe and I never really fill the boiler with more than 10-15 gallons of mash. I have been using this same setup for 10-years. Just be sure all your safety issues are met and watch the still closely. Since you probably are the only one around your stillin activity, you shouldn't need worry about someone bumping it hard enough to knock it over. I find it very stable and I can make a run from start to finish in about 2-hrs give or take. But remember I am using stainless and its pretty stable to begin with.

Considering your working with a copper pot, it may not have the strength to be supported just by placing it on a burner. You will definitely need to support your boiler on either a grate or a combination of grate and stones/bricks. I use both gas on my pot still and electric on my column still. I like gas because it heats faster. As I mentioned before it is hard to get a precise measurement when you back off the gas because the regulator don't always respond like I want it to. I always get to work but it takes patience. I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed if you are willing to accept the inaccuracy of the burner controls.
MoonshinerMike71
Novice

Post by MoonshinerMike71 »

Hey, how's it going ? I have to agree with the others on the 200,000 BTU Propane Burner being a little bit much of a challenge for a 25 Gallo Pot.
Also, not all of them are AS ADVERTISED, for example, Websteraunt offers one Advertised as 210,000 BTU, but it only has a 10 PSI Regulator. Which would put it around 85,000 BTU, which is Still More Than Sufficient.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/14721/ ... ype:stoves
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Buy an adjustable regulator and you don't end up having all of these problems.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Sooo...

A 9kg/20lb propane bottle can only give off around 60k btu of gas, when near full. This reduces with emptiness and ambient temperature.

Unless you want a manifold for multiple bottles or have a big bottle (45kg/100lb) or town supply handy, this is your limit.

You will be lucky to achieve much more than 1/3 of your gas input to the boiler. Plan accordingly.

I would love to hook up electricity to mine, but the most i can get to my shed is around 2000w after losses, yeah nah.