Propane Safety controller

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mendodistilling
Novice

Propane Safety controller

Post by mendodistilling »

Hi guys,

I'm working with a burner from Ward burners, X-44 impinged. I'd like to have a brewery type controller in a Nema control panel to stop the distillation if the condenser ever fails or I need to turn it off.

I'd also like it to show the distillate temperature using a thermometer in the parrot so I can be aware of the temperatures for the burner input.

I have one for my electric brewery that has an emergency shut off on it that is red push and twist to reset type.

Would it be possible to do this with a lead going to the parrot to basically safe guard the still in the event that (and I know you guys/gals are gonna say I never should do this) walk away for a few minutes to do whatever else I need to do without worrying the condenser water has run out or some other strange occurrence is happening and the vapor is hot enough to escape.

I'd also without getting too complicated like to be able to control the gas input if possible to only run it as hard as the coolant water can cool the still to the set point I choose. I know this changes the way the still will work but being able to do this will allow me to see some things I'd like to test much easier.

Anyone have any good ideas?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Propane Safety controller

Post by The Baker »

And could those ideas work for town gas?
Thanks.
Geoff
The Baker
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

mendodistilling, I'm not liking what I'm reading in your post above... NEVER leave a still unattended... There's simply no excuse... If you really have to leave it, shut it down...!!! You're also hinting at automation and we don't condone even thinking about that until you have more than a firm grasp on how do do things manually...

Shit can go sideways in a hurry and people do get maimed and killed when shit happens... If you can't see your still or touch it within a step or two, you're too far away and not paying close enough attention... I've been known to piss in the kitchen sink during a run on the stovetop if that gives you an idea of how serious I am about not leaving a still unattended... Cleaning the sink is easier than explaining to the fire marshals and insurance company how the house burned down due to an unattended still...

You don't need a propane controller or other automation, you need to adjust your mindset and priorities...
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Thank fuck i never ate cornflakes in your gaff :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I am interested in EXTRA safety measures, not alternatives.
Geoff
The Baker
mendodistilling
Novice

Thanks for your responses. This will be placed in a licensed facility soon. I'm trying to get it to work the way I want it to but it came just a still and I've had to build the firebox and controls for it.

I'd just like to add more safety. So let's assume I know a lot about distilling but not enough about electric control of gas valves. Which is what I need.
mendodistilling
Novice

I think I figured it out.

Would this work?

Furnace controller that opens the valve and the second valve for the pilot upon firing also has a thermostat wire which I could place in the parrot and set for a temperature within the condensers range. If the distillate rose above that temp it would then reach the temp and shut down the gas.

Would that work? Am I understanding how these work?

This is mainly for water problems to have protection if the water fails or the chiller tank has a leak or something.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Mendostilling said,'This is mainly for water problems to have protection if the water fails or the chiller tank has a leak or something.'

I would think something would also be available to sound an alarm/shut off the gas or whatever if the water flow stops, also if the water temperature is too warm....
Geoff
The Baker