Radiant cooled condenser math?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Scribbler
Rumrunner

Radiant cooled condenser math?

Post by Scribbler »

Not a very sexy heading, I know!!! But... I just got to thinking. To start off, let's use a 48 inch long liebig condenser (1/2" plumber's norm vapor tube with a 3/4" plumbers norm jacket) as the reference point. A decent 'useable' condenser. I'm looking for a starting place to do the math on this, and I am at a loss. Here is what I'm wondering:

Suppose I get a length of the same 1/2" pipe. Then some sheet copper and make up a few hundred 2" diameter disks with holes in the center. Next, I solder them to the pipe with 1mm spacing.

How long would the pipe need to be in order to match the 48" Liebig's performance? Would ten feet be long enough to do the trick in a room temp, dry air, no breeze environment? Twenty?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Radiant cooled condenser math?

Post by NZChris »

Radiation gets rid of buggerall compared to convection, and you describe doing this in a room with no forced air movement. Rising temperature in your room would have to be calculated in as well. The higher the air speed, volume, and difference in T in & T out, the shorter your condenser would have to be.

There are calculators on the net. Google something like 'air cooling calculator'.
Maritimer
Rumrunner

Post by Maritimer »

Scribbler,

The math you are looking for can be found in A Heat Transfer Textbook, pages 163 to 183. You can download the book for free at http://web.mit.edu/lienhard/www/ahtt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow , and you can also buy it from Amazon for about $25.

M
Scribbler
Rumrunner

Post by Scribbler »

Thanks!!!! Appreciate it!!!!!