New Shotgun for DAD Still

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

vicrider
Swill Maker

New Shotgun for DAD Still

Post by vicrider »

Been running a stove top 2" Bok for a few years now and am finally getting close to finishing my new build. 15 gal electric keg with 5500w element and controller. 3" CCVM (DAD300) with a shotgun condenser. Planning on 4 1/2" tubes inside a 2", 19" long for the shotgun. Is this enough or would using 3/8" and 5 or 6 tubes be better? Also, would separate coolant lines to the shotgun/reflux condenser be better or is running water through the shotgun and then through the reflux condenser ok? Thoughts?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: New Shotgun for DAD Still

Post by DAD300 »

The shotgun will be great but you may have to add a little turbulence. My 2" x 20" shotgun vapor path is seven 3/8" tubes.

Have it at an angle, not completely vertical, or a little SS Scrubbie in the bottom of each tube or just a little cotton gauze in the bottom of the outlet.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I have a 2" shotgun about 14" long with nine 3/8" tubes in it. It can take anything I throw at it. My deflag is 4"x6" long with seven 1/2" tubes that will also knock down everything I throw at. So in short you don't need much to get the job done.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
vicrider
Swill Maker

Post by vicrider »

Thanks guys. Got the condenser built and leak tested. Cant wait to get the rest finished so i can give it a go. Any advise on the water supply line?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

When I built mine with copper unions for disassembly. After repeated use they are harder and harder to reseal. I am now switching over to shark bite fittings for ease of use.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
ShineRunnah
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunnah »

I have my new column plumbed so water goes through the liebig and then into the reflux coil (3/8" corrugated SS gas line) and it seemed to work fine in the initial cleaning run. Haven't ran it since, but the sac run went very well.

What did you end up running in the shotgun?
vicrider
Swill Maker

Post by vicrider »

Went ahead and built it with four 1/2" tubes as that was what I had on hand. I should have the rest of my parts to finish up in a week or two. Can't wait!
ShineRunnah
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunnah »

vicrider wrote:Went ahead and built it with four 1/2" tubes as that was what I had on hand. I should have the rest of my parts to finish up in a week or two. Can't wait!
I'm pretty sure four 1/2" tubes in a 19" shotgun will do quite well on a CCVM.

The CCVM's are an awesome design. I need to get pics of mine up soon. 2" glass column 48" long with SPP and SS scrubbie packing (will be all SPP soon, just need to finish making enough to fill it! Takes a while) and I'm very impressed with it. It's my first real reflux column (had a cross-tube, but it sucked) and I find it very easy to run, especially with the glass column, as it allows me to actually see whats happening in the column, rather than relying on thermometers and such.

I think you will end up loving it. I couldn't be happier with mine. Awesome design, cheap and easy to build, easy to run and produces very pure alcohol.