Copper coil

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

whitewaterqb
Novice

Copper coil

Post by whitewaterqb »

Anyone have any tips on wrapping soft copper around a 3" column? Just finished a 3" column with 2" Liebig over 1 1/2" and I was thinking a copper coil around the top would give me some re fluxing flexability. Thoughts?
It's like a sore dick...Tough to beat!!
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Re: Copper coil

Post by carbohydratesn »

It would give you a teeny tiny bit of reflux capability. Almost no flexibility.

Put a coil *inside* the column if you want to be able to reflux. Surface area is important - you want lots of it.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Whitewaterqb where did you get those ideas for a build? I personally would suggest thst you read here more first before proceeding forward on any build or completing whar you may have already started. You are working in an antiquated and poor path at the moment. Build yourself a boka!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
carbohydratesn
Swill Maker

Post by carbohydratesn »

ga flatwoods wrote:Whitewaterqb where did you get those ideas for a build? I personally would suggest thst you read here more first before proceeding forward on any build or completing whar you may have already started. You are working in an antiquated and poor path at the moment. Build yourself a boka!
Ga Flatwoods
+1, I just noticed that your liebig is 2'' over 1 1/2'' - that's way more expensive and probably ten or fifteen times as heavy as it needs to be, and at least 5x heavier than that when it's full of water. Reading more before continuing would do you a lot of good, you'll thank yourself later.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

My cm has a 3/8" rc coil around the outside & it works great, and will do 100% reflux. So depending on how you make it, yes it will work.
IMG_20141126_214315.jpg
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
whitewaterqb
Novice

Post by whitewaterqb »

That's exactly what I was thinking about. I wanted a pot since I already have a reflux column. I was just thinking why not. I get all the material free, so what the heck.
It's like a sore dick...Tough to beat!!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

firewater69 wrote:My cm has a 3/8" rc coil around the outside & it works great, and will do 100% reflux. So depending on how you make it, yes it will work.
IMG_20141126_214315.jpg
Glad it is working for you, in my opinion as mentioned above inside should be more efficient.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

That is a 2" x 16", I have an extension that I rarely use, I usually make whiskey and rum, and take off @ 80% give or take. I like single runs although I have done strips & added back to the next wash. I run as a pot for Brandies, my first still was a lm, but I like this one better. If I were interested in neutrals I would run my lm, it has a double wound 1/4" coil, but I'm not. This is much better for whiskies IMHO.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

being in the middle of a CM build/rebuild, efficiency is not necessarily what we are after with the reflux coil???? that was a question.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a fully efficient coil counter productive to what is desired from a CM still? I see a CM as a pot still on steroids. A reflux system that can be dialled in to a particular takeoff. Zero takeoff/100% reflux not necessarily being one of them.
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

^^ exactly! I ddidn't mean that I ran it using 100% reflux, just that it is capable.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Agreed Firewater69, comment was geared towards Bushman's comment. I am working my mod towards a less than efficient reflux section. I too have a LM and feel its only purpose is neutrals. Ah crap! Ill get flamed for that.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

FLAME ON BATMAN!!!!!!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

thanks for the support
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

nuddin butt luv...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bellybuster wrote:being in the middle of a CM build/rebuild, efficiency is not necessarily what we are after with the reflux coil???? that was a question.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a fully efficient coil counter productive to what is desired from a CM still? I see a CM as a pot still on steroids. A reflux system that can be dialled in to a particular takeoff. Zero takeoff/100% reflux not necessarily being one of them.
Not necessarily, how you control the CM is what gives it it's flexibility. You don't have to run it at full reflux but being able to get a 100% reflux and reach azeotrope if you are wanting neutrals is the bonus that a CM still probaby has over the other reflux stills (flexibility on what it can be used for).
I could never do with my VM what I can do with my CM. With the VM I might as well just stuck with birdwatchers as it made a great neutral.