ironton pump for cooling, 23 ft head lift.

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

ironton pump for cooling, 23 ft head lift.

Post by Full_moon »

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200631283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

My old harbor freight pump with 11 head lift gave out. I found this one for 39.99 plus 10.00 freight.
It has a 23ft head lift, with a bunch of good reviews. Northern Tool Co.
pumping out of a trash can, about 6-7 head lift to my l;iebig.
This should do the job. Looks like a winner Has anyone tried it.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Re: ironton pump for cooling, 23 ft head lift.

Post by Hound Dog »

I tried one similar because I had it. That "thermal protection" part was it's downfall. Not really made to run hot water hours on end. When it got hot it shut off to cool down. Not what you want in the middle of a reflux run right when things are evening out and getting hot.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Looks like a powerful pump. Will you be able to throttle it back? otherwise a by pass will be be needed.

Consider a high volume mag drive pond with adequate head requirements. Mag drives can be controlled with a valve to your condenser without incorporating a bypass into the system.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Full_moon »

I was wondering if I should bypass some of its output. I have a garden hose gated wye on the pump end. I could open one side some I guess.
The thermal cut off is a non issue for me as my hot water enters a car AC condenser (radiator) in front of a box fan. The water re-enters the trash can cool.
I get it this coming Fri. and a ferment will finish Wed. or thurs., so I will give it a try.

Tell me, what happens when a pump like this is not bypassed. Does it overheat even submerged in water. Or does it just work harder against the restriction and wear out soon or what?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Only thing...sump pumps like that are not designed for continuous service. They'll work fine for 15-20, maybe even 30 minutes at a time. But they'll need a 10 minute rest in between those cycles. That's the killer with them. Attractive price, but not the right design parameters.

Look for a circulation pump...those are designed for continuous service. But they often have a limited head capacity. Pool/pond pumps are an example of that type of design. If you source a big enough pond pump to get your required head lift (with a little extra for the flow losses), you're likely in the $50-$75 USD range. Unfortunately, cheap is...cheap!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Full_moon wrote:I was wondering if I should bypass some of its output. I have a garden hose gated wye on the pump end. I could open one side some I guess.
Try it and see how you make out
The thermal cut off is a non issue for me as my hot water enters a car AC condenser (radiator) in front of a box fan. The water re-enters the trash can cool.
Still not rated for continuous duty
I get it this coming Fri. and a ferment will finish Wed. or thurs., so I will give it a try.

Tell me, what happens when a pump like this is not bypassed. Does it overheat even submerged in water. Or does it just work harder against the restriction and wear out soon or what?Sorta like driving with your brakes on.

Mag drive pond pumps are inexpensive and are very popular here. I run two of them.

We're not fighting fires here as we just need an adequate flow of coolant for the length of the run without the pump burning up.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Full_moon wrote:The thermal cut off is a non issue for me as my hot water enters a car AC condenser (radiator) in front of a box fan. The water re-enters the trash can cool.
I run through a condenser pulled from a walk in frigde. While it helps to keep the water from getting too hot, it will still heat up a trashcan on a long run or a hard stripping run or two. Please post how it works our though, good or bad. Actual results are the best knowledge on the forum. :thumbup:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Full_moon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Full_moon »

Thought some feedback on this pump might be useful. Made the 1st stripping run with it this morning and it performed great, also made some interesting methods of water control.

The water from this pump enters the l;iebig through a 1/2 in. clear tubing and exits a 5/8 in tubing which enters an AC condenser for cooling and re-enters the 32 gal. trash can. The total head lift of approx. 6 feet.
I ran this pump three different ways. full power straight to the liebig.
full power with some bypass via a gated wye I had on the 1/2 in hose.
Through a controller I use on a broilking hotplate.

#1 it puts out more water than is actually needed for the liebig. There will be no problem running my cm reflex .
#2 You can easily control the liebig output by byepassing some water through the gated wye. The trash can water gets moving quite well though, and you get wet if you don't watch which way the wye is pointed. Yes I hosed myself.
#3 operating with this 110V controller is the best. You can easily control output volumn by turning a dial. I have one of those controllers that number 1-6 for the amount of current, however nothing happens till number 3. I operated most of the stripping run on number 4 and more cooling on the liebig than I ever had.

Very pleased with its performance, The total run time a little over an hour for a 5 gal. strip, turning on when the column was hot half way up.

The review give it some good rating with some operating over a year continuous 24/7. some for days on end etc. So if it performs as others have its longevity should certainly be on par , at least my last pond pump went 1 and 1/4 yrs before it gav e out. I,ll take it.

edit--2nd strip run--all is good.