Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

My shotgun build

Post by goinbroke2 »

As I was saying in my other thread (my liebig build) I'm building a shotgun next...
So, it is 2" SS and it will be 4' plus the ends welded on etc, but anyway, five 1/2" SS tubes through the middle.
Here is the only pictures I got today as production couldn't start but at least the 20ft piece of 2" SS and 20ft of 1/2" SS was delivered.

Another angle..
So, the whole story is, a buddy tried some of my stuff and freaked, asked what could he do for me to get more? I said build your own still and I'll show you how/help/etc...meh, he's a welder not a stiller...what else can he do..I said get me some SS and let me borrow your tig welder. No way he says, I'll weld this baby up for you! I said fine, couple days later he got in a 20ft stick of 2" and a 20ft stick of 1/2" SS. His first question was..is there a market for these? I said yeah, BUT shipping is the killer and that conversation went on for a while. So anyway, technically it's not MY shotgun build because I'm technically not going to build it, but it will be mine when it's done. (and I guess I am designing it...)

Hopefully more pictures coming tomorrow, he needed a sheet of 3/16 SS anyway so I can use whatever I need of that too. Not sure if we're going to use the CNC milling machine or the auto-plasma cutter to cut out the circles/holes/etc.

Well, hopefully more tomorrow.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My shotgun build

Post by humbledore »

Subscribed (grabs popcorn). :thumbup:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

4 ft long 5 barrels shotgun, you gotta be a ford man. Gotta go big to make power. :moresarcasm:
That otta knock anything you can throw at it.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
The KYChemist
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by The KYChemist »

humbledore wrote:Subscribed (grabs popcorn). :thumbup:
+1...
Attachments
55644248.jpg
55644248.jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
Whiskey is rays of sunshine, held together with water.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

jedneck wrote:4 ft long 5 barrels shotgun, you gotta be a ford man. Gotta go big to make power. :moresarcasm:
That otta knock anything you can throw at it.
HEY!! Easy now! :lol:

Yeah, there's no kill like overkill! :ewink: More pictures when I get home from work today...unless yet another crisis happens...
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

goinbroke2 wrote: His first question was..is there a market for these?
I think we have the same welder.....mine said the same thing as he was welding my keg mods. He's still on me to get more and do em up.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

But really why 4' ? Are you gonna put it on an angle? Are you gonna put baffles in it? And finally is this thing really gonna be 4'?
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

+1
Yep, I'm definitely keeping a eye on this thread.
I like it.
Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, after being off for 2 1/2 weeks due to surgery I'm back Monday/ I bought the two 2" ferrul's I need for the ends of the shotgun so hopefully there will be progress I can show soon.

Nothing worse than starting a thread and then it not having an ending..... :thumbdown:
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Looking forward to seeing this being built.

SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

Wow!
and my shot gun is only 8" boy do I fell small :clap:
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

That's what she said...
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

From the first time I used a shotgun on my tower I know I will never go without again. The amount of control you have with it is amazing
now for all the guys with small shotguns it's not the size that matter it's how you use it. :moresarcasm:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

likker liker wrote:Wow!
and my shot gun is only 8" boy do I fell small :clap:
But sje likes it that wide :wink:
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
McTasty07
Novice

Post by McTasty07 »

Following!
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by likker liker »

How's the shot gun build going
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

Those are some big tires you've got on that welding gas cart, GB.
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

RandyMarshCT wrote:Those are some big tires you've got on that welding gas cart, GB.
Looks like my old Oxy-Acetylene cart... Repairs weren't always made in a nice dry heated shop...
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

I am all over this thread!!

never seen a shop with a floor that clean

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo12 ... opcorn.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollowImage
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Sorry this thread fell on it's face guys, welder is STILL so busy that he hasn't finished it. So he's either finishing it this week or sending it to me. I'm running a new shop now about 1 1/2hr's away from the old one.
So, he went to cut out the holes in the plate for the 1/2" tubes with the plasma cutter and send it was easier to render it on the computer with four tubes. So, I said fine, make it 5 or 6ft long then. So I have no idea if he will actually finish it this week like promised (or if it will be 4,5 or 6ft long) or if I'll get a truck full of 2" SS and have to finish it myself. I'm fine either way it just bugs me that I started this a year and a half ago and still getting the "I'll get my guys right on it".

Whatever, can't complain about free SS and welding I guess, but almost 2 years??
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Yup. Free ain't free if it ain't done.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

6' long shotgun, Damn your column will have to be almost that long and still you may be collecting laying on the floor :lol:

OVZ
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I end up on the floor after collecting half of the time anyway so it's all good.... :wtf:
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, a little progress now that the 3" column is built.
Attachments
5ft long with four 1/2" tubes running through it. THAT aught to cool whatever I build next...
5ft long with four 1/2" tubes running through it. THAT aught to cool whatever I build next...
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Did a bit more work today at dinner time, finished the tubes and slid them in then had to pull them back out for pictures. Bought two 90* copper elbows so I can run the shotgun parallel to the column. Get a better idea as it goes on....
Attachments
Water outlets drilled, slowly working on it when I can
Water outlets drilled, slowly working on it when I can
4 tubes welded up, ready to slide in
4 tubes welded up, ready to slide in
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Well, being a dumbass I welded it up and.......had an internal leak! Cut the ends back off and found the offending tube, fixed it and now it's slowly going back together about 2-3" shorter than before.
Stupid,stupid,stupid....I pressure checked everything before but somehow missed it. Anyway, the push is on as i have to get the snowblower serviced since it's snowing every second day it seems.
More pics to follow.
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Did ya ever finish it? How does it work ? You running it vertical or horizontal ? Got any finished pics ?
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Did ya ever finish it? How does it work ? You running it vertical or horizontal ? Got any finished pics ? Really want to see your results of such a beast .
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner