Oooops...Need Advice Operating My 3" Copper Dephlegmator

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Re: Oooops...Need Advice Operating My 3" Copper Dephlegmator

Post by Hound Dog »

rain distillate wrote:Think I could just cut or drill a bunch of decent size holes in the s.s. mesh on the gasket?? I stand corrected it's 150 micron ooops.
Hit it with a paper hole puncher and see what happens. It's not that hard to drill a bunch of holes in a flat piece of copper either or use a stainless shower drain strainer. Your flange should create a lip inside your pipe. Cut it the same diameter as the pipe, file two sides flat so it passes through the flange and it will sit on top of it. Easy peasy.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

skow69 wrote:I don't know what that screen is about, but it would be my first suspect.

skow.....Jesus man that's impressive....

rain mentions it once and BAM...
WW.jpg
WW.jpg (7.06 KiB) Viewed 2929 times

I had to go back to the first page to find out what the hell screen you were talking about... and I've been following the damn thread!

Sorry to hijack....
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

There was some foreshadowing in this thread. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=63167

Rain, I think we found out what happens when you don't let the water return to the boiler.

EDIT: If you poke holes in that screen, poke all you can. The worst that can happen is you have to fish a few rashig rings out of the boiler.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Ive just looked at the Utube film clip that you put up Rain.. Can you please tell me what sort of still you are running this 3" dephlegmator on.
What ever the still is, my first guess at you problem would be it is because you are running to much heat and flooding the still column, packing or plates.
Ive seen exactly the same sort of thing if I pushed my 4 inch bubbler to hard and flooded the top plate when I first learned to use it.
Less heat and in turn less water to the dephlegmator may help.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Post by Rain Distillate »

skow69 wrote:There was some foreshadowing in this thread. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=63167

Rain, I think we found out what happens when you don't let the water return to the boiler.

EDIT: If you poke holes in that screen, poke all you can. The worst that can happen is you have to fish a few rashig rings out of the boiler.
Will do Skow. However I read somewhere you DO NOT want to cook the ceramic rings in the boiler via them falling through retainer. Heard it can taint the batch...Anyone else heard of this?
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Saltbush Bill wrote:Ive just looked at the Utube film clip that you put up Rain.. Can you please tell me what sort of still you are running this 3" dephlegmator on.
What ever the still is, my first guess at you problem would be it is because you are running to much heat and flooding the still column, packing or plates.
Ive seen exactly the same sort of thing if I pushed my 4 inch bubbler to hard and flooded the top plate when I first learned to use it.
Less heat and in turn less water to the dephlegmator may help.

Heres the link with pictures of my still. Have made a few minor adjustments since then but you'll get the overall idea of my apparatus from the pics. have changed plumbing around since the pics and have added a few valves and what not since.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=62209

Rain
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

rain distillate wrote:
skow69 wrote:There was some foreshadowing in this thread. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=63167

Will do Skow. However I read somewhere you DO NOT want to cook the ceramic rings in the boiler via them falling through retainer. Heard it can taint the batch...Anyone else heard of this?
If the ceramic is ok for a column, a wash certainly isn't going to do anything. They should be inert. Where did you read a ceramic raschig ring will taint your wash?
Using Google Search

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

rgreen2002 wrote:
skow69 wrote:I don't know what that screen is about, but it would be my first suspect.

skow.....Jesus man that's impressive....

rain mentions it once and BAM...
WW.jpg

I had to go back to the first page to find out what the hell screen you were talking about... and I've been following the damn thread!

Sorry to hijack....
Dang RG !!!! :ewink: :ewink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZOTszoKbE4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Blah, blah, blah,........
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I'm with Hound Dog. Ceramics are about as inert and indestructible as it gets. They use them for nozzles on sandblasters.

No offense, Rain, but you seem to get more than your share of bad information. Who are you listening to? If we didn't have a pic of your rig I might start thinking about calling troll.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I looked at the photos, the whole design looks dicky to me, I still say its flooding due to too much heat. The main column looks like its only about 2 inch diameter, its not going to take much to flood.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Agree sbb, small column, too bigger dia rc, will give funny results,.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Saltbush Bill wrote:I looked at the photos, the whole design looks dicky to me, I still say its flooding due to too much heat. The main column looks like its only about 2 inch diameter, its not going to take much to flood.
Will post new pics once I remove the "dickiness" of my rig. I'm putting in borosilicate sight glasses. Unfortunately ordering them all at once wouldn't sit well with the mrs. So one at a time for now.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Ya rain, I think we need some pics of your rig with the modifications you have done. Otherwise, it never happened.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

googe wrote:Agree sbb, small column, too bigger dia rc, will give funny results,.
What do you consider funny results? I think I finally have it fixed and dialed in. Didn't seem to have any funny results this evening.
Rain
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

rain distillate wrote: What do you consider funny results? I think I finally have it fixed and dialed in. Didn't seem to have any funny results this evening.
Rain
Cool! you have your rig dialed in :thumbup: So no more questions like "how do I run my setup" :)
googe
retired

Post by googe »

rain distillate wrote:
googe wrote:Agree sbb, small column, too bigger dia rc, will give funny results,.
What do you consider funny results? I think I finally have it fixed and dialed in. Didn't seem to have any funny results this evening.
Rain
Was just referring to over power by rc. Glad you've got it sorted
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Oldvine Zin wrote:
rain distillate wrote: What do you consider funny results? I think I finally have it fixed and dialed in. Didn't seem to have any funny results this evening.
Rain
Cool! you have your rig dialed in :thumbup: So no more questions like "how do I run my setup" :)
Yes it was very exciting running in reflux without a flood and having a non fluctuating drip rate.

However I do have a couple more questions.
As abv drops while running in reflux, how do I get the abv to climb back up? Increase heat and increase dephlegmator water flow?
Any tricks to avoid smearing cuts with a reflux rig?
Thanks
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

rain distillate wrote:
Oldvine Zin wrote:
Rain
Yes it was very exciting running in reflux without a flood and having a non fluctuating drip rate.

However I do have a couple more questions.
As abv drops while running in reflux, how do I get the abv to climb back up? Increase heat and increase dephlegmator water flow?
Any tricks to avoid smearing cuts with a reflux rig?
Thanks
What have you read and what don't you understand??
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

rain distillate wrote: As abv drops while running in reflux, how do I get the abv to climb back up? Increase heat and increase dephlegmator water flow?
Yes and yes.
Using Google Search

cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The way I run is when the temperature increases one degree I increase water flow to the dephleg and re-stabilize for 15 or 20 minutes then slowly decrease flow and start collecting again. I can usually do this 3 times before I can't hold the temp any more. doing this I get very few tails.

Of course this is my rig and everybody's is different and everybody runs different.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

cranky wrote:The way I run is when the temperature increases one degree I increase water flow to the dephleg and re-stabilize for 15 or 20 minutes then slowly decrease flow and start collecting again. I can usually do this 3 times before I can't hold the temp any more. doing this I get very few tails.

Of course this is my rig and everybody's is different and everybody runs different.

I like this!!!^^^^ Will be trying this. Thanks cranky
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Hound Dog wrote:
rain distillate wrote: As abv drops while running in reflux, how do I get the abv to climb back up? Increase heat and increase dephlegmator water flow?
Yes and yes.

I tried tinkering with the heat and the water flow after I had it going nicely and temp was increasing. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was nervous about smearing or messing it up though. It was my first time collecting with dephleg going and I was afraid of messing up what I had going for me. Next time I will play with it more. I did not do the 15-20 mins of re-stabilization like cranky suggested though. Next time I will be trying this. I just picked up a sight glass to allow me to see whats going on right under the dephleg (and posted a thread about it) but I'm skeptical about using it.
Rain
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

I believe the 1 1/2" section of my column is contributing to the flooding I'm still getting even with a bigger screen. I have a 2"x3" adapter coming in the mail (s.s.) so that will bring me from the keg to the 3" sight glass and up to the 3" dephleg. I'm thinking about putting 2-3 more 3" sight glasses and trying to remove as much of my 2" column as I possibly can. Will having a small opening like 2" restrict flow so drainage back the boiler will not occur? I'm damn near positive that's what is occurring on my 1 1/2" section so that's coming out but I'm concerned that 2" is still too small...adequate drainage back to the boiler is all I care about at this point, I feel like this is where I'm failing atm.

Good news is I bought some copper coil today and will not have to create a stand on top of my table to reach my product condenser anymore. I could bend it to fit right over my botched parrot i made lol. ain't the prettiest thing but she works.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

rain distillate wrote:I believe the 1 1/2" section of my column is contributing to the flooding I'm still getting even with a bigger screen. I have a 2"x3" adapter coming in the mail (s.s.) so that will bring me from the keg to the 3" sight glass and up to the 3" dephleg. I'm thinking about putting 2-3 more 3" sight glasses and trying to remove as much of my 2" column as I possibly can. Will having a small opening like 2" restrict flow so drainage back the boiler will not occur? I'm damn near positive that's what is occurring on my 1 1/2" section so that's coming out but I'm concerned that 2" is still too small...adequate drainage back to the boiler is all I care about at this point, I feel like this is where I'm failing atm.

Good news is I bought some copper coil today and will not have to create a stand on top of my table to reach my product condenser anymore. I could bend it to fit right over my botched parrot i made lol. ain't the prettiest thing but she works.
Did you get rid of the screen at the bottom all together and replace it with something more appropriate? Heck, if you are going to buy 2 to 3 more sight glasses, skip that and try a 3 inch column so everything is the same size and you quit jacking around? Going from 3 inches to 2 is not restricting snything, many people do this, you will not have too much power for this if you get rid of the screen that acts as a perforated plate.i
Using Google Search

Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Hound Dog wrote:
rain distillate wrote:I believe the 1 1/2" section of my column is contributing to the flooding I'm still getting even with a bigger screen. I have a 2"x3" adapter coming in the mail (s.s.) so that will bring me from the keg to the 3" sight glass and up to the 3" dephleg. I'm thinking about putting 2-3 more 3" sight glasses and trying to remove as much of my 2" column as I possibly can. Will having a small opening like 2" restrict flow so drainage back the boiler will not occur? I'm damn near positive that's what is occurring on my 1 1/2" section so that's coming out but I'm concerned that 2" is still too small...adequate drainage back to the boiler is all I care about at this point, I feel like this is where I'm failing atm.

Did you get rid of the screen at the bottom all together and replace it with something more appropriate? Heck, if you are going to buy 2 to 3 more sight glasses, skip that and try a 3 inch column so everything is the same size and you quit jacking around? Going from 3 inches to 2 is not restricting anything, many people do this, you will not have too much power for this if you get rid of the screen that acts as a perforated plate.i
I replaced it with a lower micron screen. but my column reduces down to 1 1/4 briefly and I think that's where its choking. I'm removing that section so it will be no smaller than 2"... The 3" sight glasses would replace most of the 2" column considering each one is about 8 inches tall. What I was running into was I couldn't run column condenser (this was towards the end of my last run) and collect because I couldn't lower my heat enough without the flame going out and having too fast a collection rate with random floods/pukes. I believe this was due to it choking in the column and flooding.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

rain distillate wrote: I replaced it with a lower micron screen.
You are measuring the part holding up your packing in microns and still wondering why your column is flooding. You know a sieve plate on a column has hundreds of 1/16" holes and it holds a liquid bath with no packing dumping on it. I wonder how that compares to your lower micron screen. Try something more traditional and your problem might go away.

Courtesy of Bearriver. ..
IMG_20140820_143357 %28450 x 600%29.jpg
IMG_20140820_143357 %28450 x 600%29.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
Using Google Search

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Hound Dog wrote:You are measuring the part holding up your packing in microns and still wondering why your column is flooding.
Gotta lose that screen asap. Might as well be a solid plate when puke comes a callin.
Nothing measured in microns should be in the vapor path.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:You are measuring the part holding up your packing in microns and still wondering why your column is flooding.
Gotta lose that screen asap. Might as well be a solid plate when puke comes a callin.
Or even if not clogged, like Hound Dog says, it's just a sieve plate with no downcommer.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Or even if not clogged, like Hound Dog says, it's just a sieve plate with no downcommer.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

rain distillate wrote:However I do have a couple more questions.
Is the abv dropping because the run is into the tails?
Or is there still lots of alcohol in the boiler?
rain distillate wrote:Any tricks to avoid smearing cuts with a reflux rig?
Thanks
Run it slow, and divide the distillate into every jar you own