Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: 2 inch shotgun build

Post by StillerBoy »

The pictures are good..
piperdave wrote:I like the wire idea.
To make wire spiral, especially when making them using fine wire, use a wooden dowel about 3/16" smaller in diameter to do the wrapping on.. when the wire springs back, it will fit tightly on the copper tube, you want to walk the wire onto the tube, otherwise it is a pain to keep in place..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
solartje
Novice

Post by solartje »

Looking good piper! Inspiring. I'm gonna change from 1/2 to 3/8 too. Good luck with the soldering. That part scares me the most.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Very daunting for a novice like me. One step at a time and slow but sure.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

I keep waiting for the soldering part of this build. Maybe I can find a video on it somewhere. I have all the parts I think, just haven't moved forward with it. I still have afew questions to look up. Heres the start of my parts. How did you lay out where to drill holes for tubes? I have a small machine shop so making some parts like the baffle inserts 3/16 to 1/4 thick not a problem. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing. I had this 2 1/2" solid copper stock, so I turned it down to fit in a 2" pipe. :econfused:
Attachments
shotgun build 3.jpeg
shotgun build 2.jpeg
shotgun build.jpeg
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Olecajun.. from the pictures, are you cutting from a solid stock to make end plates for a condenser.. if so, there is a much easier way... take a 1" or 1 1/4" copper pipe, don't matter what grade is used, DWV pipe is easier to work with, cut a piece about 3" long, then cut a slice lengthwise, anneal then flatten it out.. there's your plate..
olecajun wrote: How did you lay out where to drill holes for tubes?

First determine how many and what size tubes you want to go with, then make a template using plain white paper, draw the pattern, cut it out, glue it to plate using a glue stick, when the drilling is done soak it in water for a few minutes, done..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Tinner22
Novice

Post by Tinner22 »

I use a set of dividers lay it out on the copper
Master Distiller
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Sorry...I WILL get this done and I WILL document with photos but I take my time with new endeavours. Just the way I am. I don't need the shotgun until I do my controller for my new 5500 W element. That is just about done (on another thread). I am sorry but this thread will be continued, I just have no progress to report yet. Good luck with your endeavours. (I wasn't shouting with my capitals just emphasizing my intentions)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Nothing to be sorry about.. its your thread.. we just hijacked some.. :ewink:

Mars

– Albert Einstein
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Yea I am making the ends from solid stock. One reason is its already round and just have to turn it down to fit and can leave it thicker. ( I thought might help when I try to solder ) Maybe let the tubes hang out and heat them for solder then cut them off and grind. Then when I do the tri clamp ends the thick copper may not heat up as quick as the thinner stuff. Plus its free laying in my shop with no other purpose. Might be the opposite effect and hinder me. :crazy: Yes, sorry for hijacking this. I will start a knew one with questions. Thanks everybody. Sorry again
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

olecajun wrote:Yea I am making the ends from solid stock.
That 2-1/2" round bar would be perfect for making copper ferrules. Wanna crank out a few? You can get the spec dimensions from any one of many stainless supplier sites.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

I am not a machinist, just self taught kind. That would be alot of waste to make them to fit a 2" tube .
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

Hijack away...let's all learn!
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

I have been away for a while but I don't like leaving dangling threads so I figured I should post where I am with this. As you can see the shotgun is finished and just needs some cleaning runs. It is 2 inch with 5 1/2 inch pipes and 18 inches long. The 5 pipes have twisted copper flat stock in them. I wish I had more pictures of the build but I don't, so sorry. This, along with my 5500w heating element should speed things up nicely. I will report back on how it works.

Hope everyone is doing well and I hope to be a bit more active here going forward. Cheers!
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

How did it turn out PiperDave
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."