My first disappointment in the sport… Any theories?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guerilla Distillah
Novice

My first disappointment in the sport… Any theories?

Post by Guerilla Distillah »

Greetings fellow Zymergists,

So, I am barked up on my second distillation. I have a half barrel keg with a 36 inch tall, 2 inch wide copper column. My very first run produced after the heads, 57% ABV until it started to drop. With no real context with which to compare, I was pleased. Yesterday I did the exact same thing, except this time I stuffed the column with copper mesh rolled up like Ace bandages. As it was simply sugar wash, I wasn't necessarily concerned with overall flavor, but my goal was to pull everything from the highest start down to 40% and call that my "spirit run"... with the addition of the mash I was hoping for a much higher number than the first time, but alas, I was greeted with an initial reading of 55% ABV. Can anyone explain why I did not get a much higher starting purity, considering the packing in an attempt to get some reflux? All input would be much appreciated.

GD
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: My first disappointment in the sport… Any theories?

Post by der wo »

Without a cooler above the packing there will be no reflux and no higher abv.

If you want more purity with a potstill, you have to distill twice.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

GD,

It's exactly like der wo described. A potstill stuffed with packing is just a potstill (stuffed with packing).

In order to increase the purity, you'll need reflux. And that means you need a reflux condenser. If you add a deflag RC to a potstill, it becomes a CM (coolant managed) reflux still. Not exactly the best/most efficient type of reflux head, but certainly retrofittable to your copper potstill.

And here's another approach....make 3 separate strip runs and pour the "low wines" into your potstill for a spirit run. You'll likely see a takeoff proof up to 160-165 to start. Doing it this way (strip + spirit) adds the 2nd distillation and will net a higher proof off still.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

still_stirrin wrote:GD,

It's exactly like der wo described. A potstill stuffed with packing is just a potstill (stuffed with packing).

In order to increase the purity, you'll need reflux. And that means you need a reflux condenser. If you add a deflag RC to a potstill, it becomes a CM (coolant managed) reflux still. Not exactly the best/most efficient type of reflux head, but certainly retrofittable to your copper potstill.

And here's another approach....make 3 separate strip runs and pour the "low wines" into your potstill for a spirit run. You'll likely see a takeoff proof up to 160-165 to start. Doing it this way (strip + spirit) adds the 2nd distillation and will net a higher proof off still.
ss

The trade off is loss of flavor, correct? The closer to 100% alcohol you get, the more stripped of flavor it becomes. Do I understand this correctly?

GD
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

Also thought I would add, I am doing another run today, and added the low wines from yesterday and creeped up on the starting point much more slowly and eased into 192° at the top of my column and have slowed my collection drip A lot compared to yesterday's run, and lo and behold, I started off with 71% after the heads....:) woohoo!!

GD
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

GD,

Adding low wines to another wash is called a "1-1/2" distillation run. I would expect it to get to 140 proof, as you've noted.

If you actually do 2x distillations (strip + spirit), you'll get closer to 80-82%ABV off the start as I stated. And doing 2x distillations will still carry a lot of flavor too. You won't get to a neutral until you approach 90%ABV. And perhaps even higher than that really.
ss

p.s.- If you're after more flavor, turn up the heat a little. You don't need to collect at a "drips" pace if your goal is flavor carryover.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

still_stirrin wrote:GD,

Adding low wines to another wash is called a "1-1/2" distillation run. I would expect it to get to 140 proof, as you've noted.

If you actually do 2x distillations (strip + spirit), you'll get closer to 80-82%ABV off the start as I stated. And doing 2x distillations will still carry a lot of flavor too. You won't get to a neutral until you approach 90%ABV. And perhaps even higher than that really.
ss

p.s.- If you're after more flavor, turn up the heat a little. You don't need to collect at a "drips" pace if your goal is flavor carryover.
SS,

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks