Dephlagmater question

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Dephlagmater question

Post by Lyonsie »

I am currently working on building a 4" flute. I have most of the parts sourced already. But i have a question about the dephlagmater. Are there any advantages / disadvantages between using double coiled versions and shotgun versions. I can't seem to find anything weighing up the pros and cons of both. ( I have the parts to build either.) Tia
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Dephlagmater question

Post by Bushman »

Not sure I know anyone that has built a coil for a 4 inch. Mash Rookie had a coil on a 3 inch with no problems. I like my shotgun style on my 4 inch dephlagmater. Are you thinking about using 3/8 inch tubing and you would have to go probably triple wound to cover the inside.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Thanks for the quick reply bushman. The pipe i have for coils is 10mm od. I was thinking a double coil with a half inch coldfinger would work. I probably will go with the shotgun as its an easier build. Basically just curious as is one easier to control than the other

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I like the shotgun style because I can run the same size 1/2" water pipe in and then separate with separate valves to the dephlagmater and product condenser and not worry about extra connectors or reducers. I like the idea of separate valves it makes controlling your run easier once you understand your still.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just my 2 cents worth.
Compared to a packed column, a plated column doesn't need as much knock down power
I like a coiled Dephlagmater for use on a plated column. it's easier to throttle and build.
I used a 4" coiled dephleg on this build http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=60
And a shotgun on this 4" build http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=57949
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cheers guys. Unfortunately the distillation gods decided for me today. I was winding the coil and it kinked badly. So shotgun it is as I'll not be buying any more 10mm at the minute. There some nice builds shady.

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Well after the coil disaster i decided to rough out the shotgun dephlagmater as I had no acess to tools today. anyhow i got this far with a screw gun and a hacksaw blade. I'll tidy it up tomorrow. It's 5 inches long and contains 9 1/2" tubes. Im pretty sure it will knock down anything I'll be throwing at it. Thanks again for the advice. I'll post a build thread when i have the whole project finished.
Attachments
20170205_021139-400x800.jpg

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

20170212_001500-400x800.jpg
20170212_001754-400x800.jpg
Made some progress on this. It's 5 inches long in a four inch jacket. I ended up going with 13 half inch pipes for the vapour path. Im thinking that the increased vapour path and therefore the reduction of coolant water in the unit should make it more responsive to any changes i make to the coolant flow whilst running. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Should work fine. I have five 3/4" tubes in my 6" long dephlagmater and I can get 100% reflux on my 4" diameter column that is packed with homemade mesh. Are you running separate valves for waterflow to both the RC & PC?
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Sweet. Yes i will definitely be running seperate lines. The room its going in ajoins a bathroom so water is not a problem. Im going to split the feed before it gets near the still. Its totally modular, so being able to configure things different ways is important to me up to and including the coolant. Cheers for the help

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Glad to help here is a picture of my set-up before finishing the build. I have one waterline in and below the valve shown in the picture on the same waterline is another valve to the shotgun condenser.
image.jpeg
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Very nice. I particularly like the bespoke handle. Lol i just want to get mine built. I might add bling later.

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Suited but not yet booted. Stick two ferrules on and its done. Im well pleased.
Attachments
20170212_234330-450x800.jpg
20170212_234428-450x800.jpg

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

That's one hell of a Dephleg, It should knock down anything you want, and also do a fine job of sorting the wheat from the chalf.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cheers for the kind words saltbush. Im sorry its done now, iv no excuse not to start drilling hundreds of plate holes now. :lol:

Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Keep the pictures coming the title of this thread should have been "Lyonsie's 4" build" now that your moving on to the plate build!
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Lol iv got more questions about plates already. I'll start a new thread when i get motoring. Storms here and the electric is out. So no progress today. :(

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cut this to size today. Therefore so it begins. Picture shows my dephlag and what will be five plate units. And also my new pot head.
Attachments
20170216_151258-800x450.jpg

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Copper is easier , But I have to give credit to you blokes who have the patients and skills to do it in Stainless.
I wouldn't consider building out of that unforgiving stuff if ya payed me.
Lyonsie wrote:now, iv no excuse not to start drilling hundreds of plate holes now.
Please tell me you are using copper for the plates?...the drilling isn't so bad once you get the hang of it.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Yep the plates are copper. Thats them to the right of the picture. Im using stainless because i got it on the cheap. Im having awfull trouble with it to be honest. It's a pita. I can't source a flux that will let me solder copper to it where i live. I reckon im going to have to order some from America at this stage.

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Lyonsie wrote:Yep the plates are copper. Thats them to the right of the picture. Im using stainless because i got it on the cheap. Im having awfull trouble with it to be honest. It's a pita. I can't source a flux that will let me solder copper to it where i live. I reckon im going to have to order some from America at this stage.
I got a big bottle of it from the states, could spare some if you want
Don't be a dick
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

That would be fantastic Swedish pride although i dont want to be leaving you stuck either. Be nice to meet up though I'll pm you.