How Long For This Heat Exchanger ?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

How Long For This Heat Exchanger ?

Post by olecajun »

Okkkkkkk. Just playing with some ideas. a 3/4" copper tube mashed flat (except for ends) to leave a 5/16 throat leaves this tube about 1 1/4" wide. If it is running thru a stainless 2 1/2" pipe as the cooling jacket, how much length do you think for say a 20 gal. pot ? Would the width of the 1 1/4" x 5/16" give close to the surface area of 3 side by side 3/8" tubing ? I am not the sharpest so just guessing at the calculation. I have already cut it but wanted opinion. I have 50" inside the jacket when I put it together. Thanks
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: How Long For This Heat Exchanger ?

Post by still_stirrin »

olecajun wrote:Okkkkkkk. Just playing with some ideas. a 3/4" copper tube mashed flat (except for ends) to leave a 5/16 throat leaves this tube about 1 1/4" wide. If it is running thru a stainless 2 1/2" pipe as the cooling jacket, how much length do you think for say a 20 gal. pot ?
This design will give you a lot of water weight in the condenser when full. And it doesn't give you a very good surface area in contact with the vapor. Plus, it would restrict the vapor flow because of the narrow dimension of the smashed tube. Poor design.
olecajun wrote:...Would the width of the 1 1/4" x 5/16" give close to the surface area of 3 side by side 3/8" tubing ? I am not the sharpest so just guessing at the calculation. I have already cut it but wanted opinion. I have 50" inside the jacket when I put it together...
Well, my shotgun condenser has SEVEN (7) 3/8" OD tubes in it. It gives almost the same flow area as the 1" ID vapor inlet, so the flow will not be restricted when entering the product condenser. But, the 7 vapor tubes in the shotgun give me more surface in contact with the vapor and water than a 1" ID pipe.

I strongly suggest that you review other Liebig and shotgun condenser designs and builds to better assess what makes a good design. I think your's is not a good design...even if you've already cut up your copper pieces.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

olecajun wrote:Okkkkkkk....how much length do you think for say a 20 gal. pot ?
To properly size a product condenser, you must know the heat input...and somewhat, the temperature of the water you're using to cool it. And of course, the ID of the tube that is inside the liquid jacket...and "smashing it" doesn't help the calculator at all.

This is the parent site calculator: http://homedistiller.org/calcs/cond_calc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ss

p.s. - a "ruff" calculation using 2kW heat input (very low for a propane burner, if that's what you're using), and the 3/4" vapor tube requires approximately a 35" long jacketed section. Ballpark??? you have the "unknowns" in this equation...not me.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Ok. Its been a while since reading up on all this and making my one and only build about 4 years ago.I am gonna go read some. That is why ya'll are asked, keep folks straight and safe. I appreciate the input. That just goes to show, I thought it would be sufficient , but thats what happens when you just jump and build without refreshing or reading for the first time. :crazy: It won't get wasted, it will be used somewhere .Hell this is part of the fun. Thanks again for the input.
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner