Twin Tee Top CCVM

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

snowman_fs
Novice

Twin Tee Top CCVM

Post by snowman_fs »

Here is my plan for a simple mod to my 3" CCVM head. I currently use a 90 in place of the second Tee and stuff CSST up from the bottom of the reduced tube as a Liebig PC; inspired by Dad300.

Why would I not mirror the CSST RC in a second Tee as shown for the PC? I can only think it would reduce smearing compared to the long pipe I have today and it would also reduce the offset weight of the column and simplify the coolant plumbing by centering it all around the top of the column.

Has anyone tried the "Twin Tee Top" before and not liked it?
Attachments
CCVM Head (Custom).JPG
snowman_fs
Novice

Re: Twin Tee Top CCVM

Post by snowman_fs »

Dry fit in stripper/pot mode.

I'll flip the short vertical after the 2"-3" cone to house the matching csst reflux condenser and insert the main reflux column on the still top. I'm also thinking of cutting the reflux column into 2/3 + 1/3 so I can adjust the theoretical plates from 0, 33,66 and 100% of my current column when I don't need all the "plates" for azeotrope. Would be nice to dial in a fast running aging proof output from my 8% AG washes for bourbon, whiskey and rums.

More to come soon. Probably a 3" sight section next.
IMG_20170307_215315~01.jpg
IMG_20170307_214801~01.jpg
IMG_20170307_214842~01.jpg
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

very compact in pot mode. :thumbup:
Not sure if there is anybenifit in having a T rather than just a 90, doubt it will smear any less.
It will however get the condenser tubes away from the offtake that some might find odd looking.
Don't be a dick
snowman_fs
Novice

Post by snowman_fs »

Swedish Pride wrote:Not sure if there is any benefit in having a T rather than just a 90, doubt it will smear any less.
Yes. I still have and use the 90 when I'm backed up on washes and I run strips in pot mode. But I usually run with reflux using a condenser in the top of the first Tee and remove it half way through (and cap the top) to switch into pot mode. That lets me compact fores/heads yet still reach deep into tails on a VM still. Pretty tasty stuff and if I'm attentive I can get a finished spirit ready for aging in a single run from my 8% AG ferments.

My "old" product condenser was a 3 foot long 2" pipe with CSST stuffed in from the bottom. This way I'm much more compact which I can only imagine reduces surface area to hold previously condensed liquid and smear. In the end, it might be trivial but the easier top side plumbing and reduced weight are still reasons for me to run it this way.