The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Shotgun to coil?

Post by The Baker »

Pikey wrote:
The Baker wrote:
..........It looks like this is how they describe yours:

Coil condenser
A 'coil condenser' is essentially a "Graham condenser" with an inverted coolant/vapor configuration. It has a spiral coil running the length of the condenser through which coolant flows, and this coolant coil is jacketed by the vapor/condensate path.

Geoff
Well that's weird, I could have sworn I saw mine labelled as a "davies" t'other day :lol:

Thanks for educating me Geoff :thumbup:
Hi, Pikey,
Saw it when I was researching the idea of a water tube up the middle of my (unusually large diameter -- but free, over 5 foot long) Liebeg (and wondering what that kind of condenser is called and how the connections are fitted).
I am just hoping my altered condenser, with 3/4 inside and 1 1/4 outside vapour path, will not restrict the vapour.
I guess the pot still will push the vapour a bit faster if it is a bit restricted, and it won't go far into the condenser before it is at least somewhat condensed.
And then there may be something of a "Pull" factor from the collapsing vapour; or not, given it is open to the atmosphere....
Perhaps more so if the delivery tube is set below the level of the liquid in the jar???
And if I install (as one day I will) a pre-heater, there will be some condensation effect before the condenser, at least before the pre-heater liquid comes up to temperature...
Just see how it goes, I guess, but I would like other opinions...

Geoff
The Baker
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

That is exactly what I was wondering, I'm used to a simple 12 ft - 1/2in coil in a bucket with cold water in bottom n hot out at top. It works and it helped teach me the principles of this hobby but I wanna build something better. I can do longer I just wanted to know if it mattered. What I've got drawn up now is 20 inches overall. With 14 of the 3/8 in center tubes 16 inches long. And a 2 inch top and bottom chamber.
semper fi
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bavis54 wrote:That is exactly what I was wondering, I'm used to a simple 12 ft - 1/2in coil in a bucket with cold water in bottom n hot out at top. It works and it helped teach me the principles of this hobby but I wanna build something better. I can do longer I just wanted to know if it mattered. What I've got drawn up now is 20 inches overall. With 14 of the 3/8 in center tubes 16 inches long. And a 2 inch top and bottom chamber.
Sounds like you have plenty of knock down for hobby use to me.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

The graham or coil worm type worked fine, it just huffs n puffs sometimes , plus the barrel leaks at times n I just always heard shotguns were more efficient, plus I've found with my coil that the distillate temp can vary even with a full hose of water going in
semper fi
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

That's a tell tale sign of not getting it done.....When coolant remains cool and distillate is warmer/hotter than ambient.
Only thing you can do is back off on heat input.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi again.
I need some help.

I wrote above a couple of messages (parts included here) about changing my Liebig condenser to a Davies.

Originally nearly 5 feet long, two inch water jacket, one and a quarter inch inside. Stainless.

I am putting a six foot, 3/4 inch copper tube down the middle. That will also be a water tube so the vapour will have 3/4 copper inside and 1 1/4 stainless outside.
It should be much more efficient, the vapour tube was too big in diameter before, the vapour could just about go through without touching the side...! (though it seemed okay with my gas-heated still; now it will be BETTER.)

I am just hoping my altered condenser, with 3/4 inside and 1 1/4 outside vapour path, will not restrict the vapour.
I guess the pot still will push the vapour a bit faster if it is a bit restricted, and it won't go far into the condenser before it is at least somewhat condensed.

Also would a half-inch delivery pipe be too small to handle the maximum product (say a pot still on a big four ring gas burner).

If I do that I can use a reducer to an inch tee, with a three quarter inch outlet at the end (to put the copper pipe through) AND a three quarter inch outlet at the side (with a reducer, to the half-inch delivery tube).

That means less fittings, maybe cheaper, and very little space for the liquid to pool below the delivery outlet.

PLEASE, before I do this; will it work??

Thanks,

Geoff
The Baker