shotgun templates?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Massassi
Bootlegger

shotgun templates?

Post by Massassi »

ive google and HD searched until I am blue in the fingers - does anyone have a link to templates for shotgun builds? I swear I have seen them before but I must be using the wrong keywords?

I'm looking for 5x 1/2" in a 2" shell and/or 5x 3/8 in a 1.5" shell if you can point me in the right direction. thanks
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: shotgun templates?

Post by bluefish_dist »

Pm me and I can send you one either tonight or tomorrow morning. I did a 1/2x4 which was easy. Even machined the holes for a good fit.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Bluefish is nice to give you drawings. Do you really need a template though? Get a piece of paperboard or even thick paper, find the ID of your tubing. Draw a circle that size on your paper. Find something with that OD and trace it. Find a socket with 5/8" OD and trace it in a pattern. Take 360/5 and you now have the angle between each tube. Use a protractor. Center punch your inner tubes on a piece of copper and drill your holes. Make a couple baffles for the ends, then a few for spacing out inside the shotgun to cause some turbulence. It's really not that difficult. Take your time and make accurate holes and you'll be fine. There are some good nuggets out there for soldering tips that make the job go easier.

A HD Google search for "shotgun" pulls up more than you should need.

SR
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I built a 2" shotgun with 4x 1/2" (5/8" OD) was going to try to fit 5 but it was very tight and decided to go with 4. I used 3 baffles in a 24" section. Works great
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

20170317_191532-800x800.jpg
I did 7 1/2" in a 3" recently, how anyone does 5 in 2" is crazy tight.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I'd just buy the god damn copper plates off of ebay. By the time your done messing around you would have been better off spending the 20 dollars.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

rubber duck wrote:I'd just buy the god damn copper plates off of ebay. By the time your done messing around you would have been better off spending the 20 dollars.
+1.

I made plates from flattened out copper pipe with a hammer and metal shears. Four of them. Worst week of my stillin' life.

And I still replaced that entire shotty in the end.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

I didn't think it was all that bad. I did exactly like SCD and hammered pieces of scrap pipe from a blown out water faucet (I knew there was I reason I kept that thing around!). Center punched and drilled them out with a step bit on a drill press.

I did 5x1/2 hard pipe inside of 2" DWV. The DWV has thinner wall, so that may have saved me.

I guess I'm used to working on old cars and having to fabricate pieces that don't exist or don't fit together like they should. Didn't seem too bad to me, but maybe it's tougher than I thought.. maybe the plates are the way to go?

SR
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I'm pretty sure I used type m, but I did have a chunk of L at the time so it might have been that. I tried 5 to start but needed just a hair more room as I was not getting my holes perfectly in place. The 4 pipes work well.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Flattened pipe is the go, easy to do. Doesn't have to be exact or pretty, just functional. I've always used 4x1/2 inch in 2 inch shell with no baffles and never had an issue. Can easily strip at 13-15lph.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

ShineRunner wrote: Get a piece of paperboard or even thick paper, find the ID of your tubing. Draw a circle that size on your paper. Find something with that OD and trace it. Find a socket with 5/8" OD and trace it in a pattern. Take 360/5 and you now have the angle between each tube. Use a protractor. Center punch your inner tubes on a piece of copper and drill your holes. Make a couple baffles for the ends, then a few for spacing out inside the shotgun to cause some turbulence. It's really not that difficult. Take your time and make accurate holes and you'll be fine.
Yeah that :thumbup: ...that's how I did all mine
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Thought I'd throw some pictures together of the shotgun to show that it can be done, albeit with some headache. As I said, this is DWV 2" so I had a little more room than thicker tubing.

Edit: you can see that obviously some of the gaps are uneven. This happens when using hand tools instead of a lathe. But it works..
Attachments
Tight squeeze
Tight squeeze
Tight squeeze
Tight squeeze
Cooled length 17.5
Cooled length 17.5
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

Wait, there are templates to buy off eBay? Where? I have never seen one!

Yummyrum. You've lots me at 360.

I have some copper plate, I just wanted the stuff to be uniform as I pushed it out do that I can see the centre baffles first, then submurge in water and do the other side before I try it out
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

googe wrote:I've always used 4x1/2 inch in 2 inch shell with no baffles and never had an issue. Can easily strip at 13-15lph.
I agree Goo , thats plenty, and baffles are just causing your self extra work that is not necessary .
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

Saltbush Bill wrote:
googe wrote:I've always used 4x1/2 inch in 2 inch shell with no baffles and never had an issue. Can easily strip at 13-15lph.
I agree Goo , thats plenty, and baffles are just causing your self extra work that is not necessary .
The Yeasty Boyz
Novice

Post by The Yeasty Boyz »

rubber duck wrote:
20170317_191532-800x800.jpg
I did 7 1/2" in a 3" recently, how anyone does 5 in 2" is crazy tight.
Hey Rubber Duck, how long is your 3" shotgun?

I'm mapping out a flute similar to NcHoochs build. He uses a 1.5" diameter 19" shotgun with 5 3/8" barrels.
I'm curious what the ideal length would be given 3" is twice the diameter (I have more than enough 3" and no 1.5" or 2"). I also wonder if it is more important to have the correct volume or length to properly condense vapor.