Cooling water

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wildcatdistiller
Novice

Re: Cooling water

Post by Wildcatdistiller »

Is your fan facing towards the ceiling or towards the ground?

Also, you said you used 3-4 buckets. Looks like only two where needed. Could you explain a little bit?
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Wildcatdistiller wrote:Is your fan facing towards the ceiling or towards the ground?

Also, you said you used 3-4 buckets. Looks like only two where needed. Could you explain a little bit?
When
I face the fan up. I tried down as well, this worked better. 3-4 bucket confusion: I previously ran a worm styled condenser in a 5gallon bucket and it took me 3-4 times (bucket fulls) replacing the water (it got too hot).
I used two 5 gallon buckets to build this. I also have a better design (higher capacity) I haven't built yet.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

looking foward to seeing the new design :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

It's been a while since I visited this topic, but here's a simple build for recirculation of cooling water. I built this out of things I had lying around. The only water loss is evaporation. I am using a home built shotgun liebig and run it as fast as it can condense. I typically run 15 gallons of mash thru a thumper with a yield 2 gallons of 115 proof. The cooling tower water does heat up, but also keeps up. I can reuse the same water for a few 15 gallon runs without adding any.
Attachments
rps20180103_080926.jpg
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Second view
Attachments
rps20180103_080859.jpg
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

A little breakdown
Attachments
rps20180103_080835.jpg
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Cool, I like the new developments! So the air is now being drawn in through the holes drilled around the lid of the reservoir? Are you using the colander to shape a dome of the AC filter material? Great work!
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

I really like this idea. If set up correctly, I can see how an undersized cooling setup could easily keep up. Or even keep up when running hard.

Ive been around these type of fans/coolers for years. They work wonders when its 90%+ humidity & 100*+ Chicken houses use the same thing as the fans, just scaled WAY up. Scaling it down or even using one in the cooling system could work since they have built in pumps.
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Kimbodious,
The collander was a cheap plastic one, about a dollar. It was a cheap, easy way to hold the media and already had holes for the water drainage and airflow.
This entire idea saves me from wasting alot of water. I wonder how much waste a liebig has if it just runs out on the ground over a 15 gallon mash run.
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

That is pretty impressive that 5 gallons is able to cool your 15 gallon still. I finally got a chance to do a cleaning run done on my unit and decided to try out the cooling system, only using a five gallon bucket and it didn’t stay cool for long. Ever since, I’ve been racking my brain trying to determine a cooling method that will work well enough to start my first run. I think this will help me out a lot! So thank you :thumbup: Being my unit is a bit bigger I think I’m going to try your concept with 20 gallon barrels
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Flint,
You could use a cheap box fan and a 55 gal drum pretty easily.
I doubt this $15 harbor freight pump will meet your demand if you're alot larger.
My intentions are to get another keg and increase to a 30gal pot. I may or may not have to upgrade cooling. I'll try this first.
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

BamaBill wrote:Flint,
You could use a cheap box fan and a 55 gal drum pretty easily.
I doubt this $15 harbor freight pump will meet your demand if you're alot larger.
My intentions are to get another keg and increase to a 30gal pot. I may or may not have to upgrade cooling. I'll try this first.
A 30 gal is what I currently have, I have a decent pump I believe, I’ve been struggling with the water capacity I may need or a way to help cool the heated water. A box fan and a drum may be a sound idea, I wonder if a box fan would pull enough cfm to make it efficient?
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

I would think so, this little fan I'm using will handle a 25 gal pot. If not you can always use the fan the next time to blow on you while you're out there. Lol
What kind of condenser are you running?
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

BamaBill wrote:I would think so, this little fan I'm using will handle a 25 gal pot. If not you can always use the fan the next time to blow on you while you're out there. Lol
What kind of condenser are you running?
I use a 24” Liebig. As I tend to go up and beyond what is necessary, I picked up 2x 44 gallon brutes and a 14” floor fan; I’m working towards build a larger version of what you built
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Visited a distillery yesterday and he hasn't changed his tanks of water in years, every thing is cooled with radiators. Impressive set-up wish I would have taken pictures.
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

Bushman wrote:Visited a distillery yesterday and he hasn't changed his tanks of water in years, every thing is cooled with radiators. Impressive set-up wish I would have taken pictures.
I always wish I would take more pictures when I go to them. I went out to bluefish dillery in Colorado, he’s a member in here, he keeps 2 ibc totes for cooling water and only has to top them off maybe once a yr. I wish I had enough space for that lol
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The radiator is not a working radiator he just ran a fan at it while the water past through the radiator, I see an experiment in my future.
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

Bushman wrote:The radiator is not a working radiator he just ran a fan at it while the water past through the radiator, I see an experiment in my future.
I gotcha! I actually found a few cooling (maybe heating) coils that came out of a small fridge from a different project, I thought I’d do the same if for some reason my current cooling build doesn’t sufficiently cool the water
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

FlintHills wrote:
Bushman wrote:Visited a distillery yesterday and he hasn't changed his tanks of water in years, every thing is cooled with radiators. Impressive set-up wish I would have taken pictures.
I always wish I would take more pictures when I go to them. I went out to bluefish dillery in Colorado, he’s a member in here, he keeps 2 ibc totes for cooling water and only has to top them off maybe once a yr. I wish I had enough space for that lol
Yep, use two ibc's for cooling. They work great in the winter, but struggle a little in the summer as it takes longer to cool down and they don't get as cold. 60 deg winter, 80 summer for the base temp. I have considered adding a radiator to the return line to help shed some heat.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Something like this?
newcool2.JPG
OVZ
FlintHills
Novice

Post by FlintHills »

bluefish_dist wrote:
FlintHills wrote:
Yep, use two ibc's for cooling. They work great in the winter, but struggle a little in the summer as it takes longer to cool down and they don't get as cold. 60 deg winter, 80 summer for the base temp. I have considered adding a radiator to the return line to help shed some heat.
I was pretty impressed with your solution to retain the water. It wasn’t something I had thought about yet when putting my setup together. But I’d imagine it’s pretty cost saving over the long term.
Oldvine Zin wrote:Something like this?
newcool2.JPG
OVZ
That’s pretty snazzy! How’d you go about finding a radiator that was almost the same size as your box fan?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

FlintHills wrote:That’s pretty snazzy! How’d you go about finding a radiator that was almost the same size as your box fan?
I bet a transmission cooler HEX would work great. Check out your local automotive parts shop. They'll have them. Maybe even the Walmarts.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

still_stirrin wrote:
FlintHills wrote:That’s pretty snazzy! How’d you go about finding a radiator that was almost the same size as your box fan?
I bet a transmission cooler HEX would work great. Check out your local automotive parts shop. They'll have them. Maybe even the Walmarts.
ss
Do you mean something like this? They're transmission coolers and are available from Amazon. They heat the basement pretty well. :D
ccvm_resized.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

RedwoodHillBilly are you doing a full run with only a sink of water? That's impressive!
RedwoodHillBilly

Bushman wrote:RedwoodHillBilly are you doing a full run with only a sink of water? That's impressive!
Normally, yes it will. If I run it in extended reflux, I might need another sink full. In pot still mode, it has plenty of cooling capacity with just one sink full.
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

I love the transmission cooler, fan idea. my still is small at only 8 gallons....think I could get by with a single cooler unit, or small radiator with fan blowing through it?
Drink tonight.....For tomorrow We Ride!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

FlintHills wrote:
That’s pretty snazzy! How’d you go about finding a radiator that was almost the same size as your box fan?
Was working on a BMW 320i and bingo saw the radiator was about the right size. A friend had an almost new one that wouldn't pass a pressure test, traded for a bottle of wine :D

OVZ
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Bloody hell Redwood HB . How did you get away with screwing that sexy cooler to the Kitchen wall :D
I see my nuts kicked hard Iff'n I even thought about it :wink:
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Hijack much! BamaBill's compact efficient design cools the water directly by making it fall down a column of chilled air and through a chilled permeable layer.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
RedwoodHillBilly

Yummyrum wrote:Bloody hell Redwood HB . How did you get away with screwing that sexy cooler to the Kitchen wall :D
I see my nuts kicked hard Iff'n I even thought about it :wink:
The "kitchen" is in the basement. It's my lab/man cave.