Converted my liebig to a shotgun condenser.

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BamaBill
Novice

Converted my liebig to a shotgun condenser.

Post by BamaBill »

Four 3/8" tubes and a 1/2" tube in a 2" shell. 24" long.
Attachments
rps20170624_195538.jpg
rps20170624_195600.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Converted my liebig to a shotgun condenser.

Post by still_stirrin »

It should work OK. The vapor flow area is 0.638 sq.in., and the conducting surface area is 150.8 sq.in. The vapor flow area relates to the amount of vapor you can process (and indirectly the vapor production/heat input) through the shotgun. The conducting surface area relates to the heat transfer from the vapor to the coolant, and therefore the power capacity of the shotgun.

My shotgun is 7 x 3/8"ID tubes inside of a 1-1/2"ID shell. It fits snug, but does fit. The vapor flow area is 0.773 sq.in. and the conducting surface area is 197.9 sq.in., slightly better than yours. I need very little coolant flow to manage the 2.25kW heat input from my two heater elements (2 x 4.5kW running on 120VAC), and I believe it could easily manage twice that power without worry.

FYI, a 1"ID tube has a flow area of 0.785 sq.in. I used that as my target flow area because my riser is 2"ID that reduces to 1"ID at a copper union which also attaches the shotgun. So, my minimum flow area is equivalent to 1"ID, or just slightly smaller through the shotgun. I try to maintain that area to keep the vapor velocity as slow as I can, thereby increasing the "dwell time" in the condenser. Again, this improves efficiency.

Also, I have 4 internal baffles which creates a swirling water flow as the water moves through the shell. Did you put any baffles in yours? Baffles improve efficiency by breaking up the flow channels through the tube bank. I highly recommend them.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BamaBill
Novice

Re: Converted my liebig to a shotgun condenser.

Post by BamaBill »

I can't say I have any math to back up what I did. This condenser originally was 2" with a single 1/2" tube in the middle as just a liebig. All I did was add the four 3/8" tubes because it's what I had on hand. I just knew I simply had to be able to run faster with more area exposed to cool water. The original could condense a gallon of "jello" in an hour. (Jello is codeword around the house we refer to moonshine as)
As far as the diverter plates? I didn't have any material left do make any. I have since thought about grinding some slots through the shell end slipping some in from the outside with a notch to fit around the closest tube. Thank goodness I paid attention to the orientation.